Complete newbie to Linux needing advice

So I have a 12 Core / 32G Ryzen 5000 with lots of storage, and granted under heavy loads there’s way more power. But in the context of a desktop, well, I’m now looking to move my box into a corner and access it using the Pi as my desktop.

Still testing, will let you know how it goes. It’s a bit awkward atm, I ordered a screen to go with it but it’s not arrived, so I’ve pinched one of my workstation’s two screens, so I’ve two screens, two mice and two keyboard in front of me :scream:

Playback on FF was Ok but not perfect, but that’s FF and running from the SD card. Going for a USB installation now with Chromium …

Ok, so this is where I am … everything works, storage, video, sound, networking (not tried WiFi but it sees my hub). Got Chromium working (no Google Chrome for arm), logged into the Forums with My Google ID … VSCode is working, CPU usage looks reasonable.

Played some Youtube videos at 720p, doesn’t drop any frames. Desktop effects and transitions are very smooth , way better than my desktop … although I’m starting to think that the days of my desktop’s graphic card are probably over.

Anyway, looks pretty cool for an entry level sub-£200 machine with 1Tb storage. IO also looks pretty reasonable, not up to Nvme, but;

$ hdparm -tT /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2736 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1369.30 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 1144 MB in  3.00 seconds = 381.01 MB/sec

So this is maybe twice the speed of a really fast traditional hard drive in terms of throughput … latency obviously there’s no competition. (this is USB storage, M2 should be twice that when it comes)

:slight_smile:

8GB. This is my first time using HDMI sound, I have a very old surround sound type setup for my workstation … who knew my monitor had such good speakers (!) :slight_smile:

Hi Jay, I sent you a DM, can you click on the speech bubble top right when you’re next on? :slight_smile: