Computer boot up.

My desktop computer with Linux Ubuntu boots in about a minute and my notebook with Zorin boots in about 30 seconds. My car don’t take as long as that, in fact it starts first time every time in a second. You don’t even have to wait for it to boot up, even if it stalls at traffic lights. Where can I get a computer like they have in Star Trek ?

All a car engine needs to start is to inject fuel/air into a pressurized cylinder and ignite it so If your car took 5 seconds to start it would be too long and no PC can boot up in that time so it’s hardly a fair comparison Bill, I don’t think anybody thinks their PC boots up quick enough any more than they think their kettle boils quick enough :slight_smile:

Graeme

Manjaro - significantly faster than every other distro I’ve ever seen.
My laptop goes from up and running, to reboot, to back up and running in under 30 seconds.

Irritating installer though - a modern Linux distro, designed to ‘make things easy’ and the installer will not allow you to install to more than one hard drive (so no /home partition on a separate drive) unless you know how to hand configure all the relevant files.

But very, very fast.

Where can I get a computer like they have in Star Trek ?

Trek fan are you? :wink:

Here you go

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11876059/DataTerminalCrash.gif

Even Mr Data has computer problems! ;D

"Mr. Worf, scan that ship." “Aye Captain. 300 dpi?”

Yeah, I love Star Trek. See my ears. I even sit up at night growing them. Don’t like Deep Space Nine.

If you want near-instant boot up times, get a solid state drive :wink: