disabled sound in ubuntu 12.04

hello guys!!!
Omg, several problems at once.

1)I started the computer today and it asks me the password in the beggining (it was never asking because I have tha password ask as “off”).
2)After that, the sound is diactivated. I can’t drag it right, it is just diactivated.
3)AFTER that too, I saw many updates that were waiting and I pushed the update manager to start. I pushed update for all the suggested updates and it freezed. Not freezed freezed, … it was like wait to do something but it didn’t respond to the close (x) icon and the quit command.
Please, help me. I am so disappointed… I can’t find a solution… Why all totgether? Are they combined together? Do you have any idea?? Please help!!! :frowning:

What happeens if you open a terminal and run these 2 commands in sequence:

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

?

I think that is worked as an update manager, but the last few minutes it has stucked here:

flashplugin-installer: downloading http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.275.orig.tar.gz

ah, ok, it continues… we’ll see…

Setting up dmsetup (2:1.02.48-4ubuntu7.2) …
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Setting up libdevmapper-event1.02.1 (2:1.02.48-4ubuntu7.2) …
Setting up liblvm2app2.2 (2.02.66-4ubuntu7.2) …
Processing triggers for libc-bin …
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools …
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-38-generic-pae

These were the last lines… it has been completed now. It waits for another command

As long as you’re not dong something else … reboot and see if your sound works.

I restarted and the sound is still diactivated… :frowning: Also when it started it asked my password… I don’t know why… I have put the password question disabled from system settings… what’s going on?? :frowning:

OK, can you run:

sudo apt-get install users-admin

then

users-admin

When the “Users Settings” window appears, highlight your username.

What does it say next to

Password:

?

I run the first command and:

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package users-admin

My mistake … run:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

then run:

users-admin

The first command ok.
When the second command starts, a window opens and says:

The configuration could not be loaded
An unknown error occured

close <----- choice to do

can you try running:

users-admin

again please … and see if you get the same error.

only the second one?

yes … the first command worked

again… the same error!! :frowning:

OK, nothing seems to be workinng correctly … I think it best to run a file system check and see if that fixes anything … can you run:

sudo touch /forcefsck

Then REBOOT.

During the bootup you should see a file system check.

then come back here.

ok!

have you done it ?

I restarted the computer and I didn’t see any check… it was very quick the restart… and except from that, it asked my password before it closed. I don’t know… this is not a proper function… :frowning: something is going wrong and has affected ather things too :frowning: The bad thing is that i don’t use this computer… only my father and i don’t know what he has done if the mistake is his… :frowning:

Yeh, there’s something seriously wrong here … NOTHING seems to be working properly :o

can you post the output from:

sudo fdisk -l

and

df -h

and

df -i