DOCKY weather app not updating

I use mint 17 64bit…

I managed to find on the internet why the weather app is not updating.

Some issue with newer network managers.

The problem is known but will not be fixed until they release Docky 3 time-frame unknown.

They mention a hack for the problem here… Bug #734490 “networkmanager docklet doesn't work with NetworkMan...” : Bugs : Docky

I have some issues as I can not find the file mentioned in the hack and compiling is beyond my capabilities…

Any help would be appreciated.

What version of networkmanager are you running ?

dpkg -l | grep network-manager

and does running this command:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get string:"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" string:"state"

make the weather applet work … without killing networkmanager ?

You can set it back with either a reboot, or by running:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get string:"org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" string:"State"

For clarity, the only difference in those 2 commands is the word state versus State

Answer to 1st question.
userone@Office2 ~ $ dpkg -l | grep network-manager
ii network-manager 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu7 amd64 network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
ii network-manager-gnome 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4.1-mint1 amd64 network management framework (GNOME frontend)
ii network-manager-pptp 0.9.8.2-1ubuntu2 amd64 network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
ii network-manager-pptp-gnome 0.9.8.2-1ubuntu2 amd64 network management framework (PPTP plugin GNOME GUI)
ii network-manager-vpnc 0.9.8.6-1ubuntu2 amd64 network management framework (VPNC plugin core)
ii network-manager-vpnc-gnome 0.9.8.6-1ubuntu2 amd64 network management framework (VPNC plugin GNOME GUI)
userone@Office2 ~ $

Answer to 2nd question - running command did not seem to have any effect set it to update every 5 mins and let it for 15 mins but no change to the information displayed.

I can tell you how to download the docky source, modify it, build a .deb from the modified source, then install it … but if that command makes no difference I think it’ll be a waste of time.

Wanna give it a go or not ?

Ok that’s interesting… is it possible to use a different network manager…

Yes you can use WiCD (in the repos):

sudo apt-get install python-wicd wicd wicd-daemon wicd-gtk

You used to have to tweak wicd a little to get it to work in recent buntu’s, but I just tried it and it seems to work now without the tweak … on the offchance I’ve already applied the fix and forgoot about it I’ll link to it anyway just in case:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5916

It seems to work without the tweaking.

Will let you know if it resolves the update issue.

Once you’re happy that wicd does what you want, you could always uninstall network-manager

WICD dose not do what I want the app is still not up dating so changing the network manager dose not allow the app to contact the weather site for updates.

It was strange that the fix we used to get the app to start by disconnecting and reconnecting the internet connection works this gives me access to 5 day forecasts but the updates do not work.

I prefer docky to cario dock which dose not work well with the mint mate desktop.

I tried finding another weather app but they seem thin on the ground for Linux systems.

which weather app are you talking about ?

This doesn’t help, but the Cinnamon desktop has a weather desklet

Yes it may be possible to find something that sits on the desktop but as my desktop is in use most of the time I have to close the programs to see it. The docky weather app sits on the dock and updates every 15 mins and you can see it at a glance…

I think chemicalfan might have meant the Cinnamon Weather applet (based on the Gnome Shell weather extension) which resides on the panel and pops out when clicked.

I’ve tried both of the fixes mentioned in your link … and I’m afraid to say neither work.

Maybe Gis Weather would do ?

deb available here:
https://launchpad.net/~noobslab/+archive/ubuntu/apps/+files/gis-weather_0.7.5~trusty~Noobslab.com_all.deb