dual boot Pep4/XP (SOLVED)

Hi Mark,
I tried to download the ISO file from the Acer Inspire thread and after some 45 minutes I had a zipped file that I opened with WinRAR.
There is no sign of any .iso file.
Could you tell me how to download the .iso file and load it to the USB installer on the Pendrive so that I can have a dual boot machine.
Thanks for looking

take care
Don W

Usually the zip file is the iso

Good luck

Graeme

As Emegra suggests … on a Windows PC that has WinRAR installed as the default application for .iso files, and file extensions hidden … you’ll end up with a file that “appears” to be a rar archive, and called just “Peppermint-4-20131113-i386” (or similar)

That actually IS the ISO image … it’s just that Windows is hiding the .iso extension :wink:

Thanks Chaps,
I have done as suggested and now have my Pendrive set up.
I presume when I boot up with the Pendrive that I will have an option to install PeP4 alongside XP ?

take care
Don W

Hopefully :slight_smile:

So you’ve installed XP ?

Can you boot to the LiveUSB and post the output from:

sudo fdisk -l

Sorry Mark,
I have setup the Pendrive with PeppermintOS 4.
I want to put PeppermintOS4 on my XP computer.
The XP computer won’t boot from a USB port.
I will have to make a DVD with the PeppermintOS4 on it and try and boot from it. (I think)
I need to know how to make a bootable DVD from which I can install PeppermintOS 4
Can you help ?

take care
Don W
EDIT I am going to Braemar for a long weekend so I will have a go at this next week :wink:

Use ImgBurn (free windows app) in Windows to burn the Peppermint ISO image to either a CD or DVD

Download ImgBurn from here:
http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

Tutorial for burning an ISO image to CD/DVD with ImgBurn here:
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn

Hint - On the second picture, where it says
Write Speed: MAX
Change it to
Write Speed: X4

Thanks Mark (again),
I have carried your instructions and now have a bootable CD.

take care
Don W

Do you still need assistance installing Peppermint ?

if so, boot to the LiveCD, and post the output from:

sudo fdisk -l

Hi Mark,
I am working with this computer at the moment. The specs. are in my signature at the bottom.
I am running XP and I would like to dual boot with PeppermintOS 4.
This computer has 152GB HD with 94GB free.
I now have the Peppermint4 .iso on disk.
Is 94GB enough room for Peppermint 4 ? What do I do next ?

take care
Don W

94GB … I’m currently running Peppermint 4 rom a 16GB SSD, and knw people that are running it in 4GB.

As Windows is a hog, let’s give you 40GB for Peppermint … sound ok ?

OK, first thing I’d like you to do is run a defrag in Windows … do you know how to do that ?

and can you let me know if you know how to boot to the LiveCD or not ?

Hi Mark,
I have created a restore point, ran CCleaner and defragged the HD.
I have set the BIOS to boot from the DVD 1st.
What’s next ?

take care
Don W

Hi donwatson

Looks like you’re good to go, It should just be a case of booting up the PC (with the DVD in the tray) into a live session, once it boots up into PM4 (live session) connect to your network, (you don’t have to do that at this stage but it will save you doing it later in the process) after that you should see an install icon on the desktop, double click that and follow the instructions, at one point you’ll be asked if you want to install alongside Windows, select that option, (if you dont get that option stop and post back here), otherwise continue, you will then be asked to select how much space you want to give to Peppermint, do as Mark suggested (40gb to Peppermint and the rest to Windows) by moving the slide partitioner accordingly, the rest is really quite self explanatory.

Good luck

Graeme

Whilst Emegra’s instructions are spot on for the install, I’d like to see your current partition layout first.
(just to be sure you haven’t already used the maximum 4 primary partition)

So before doing the install, can you please boot to the LiveCD … Select “Try Peppermint” … when at the desktop (connect to the interweb either with an ethernet cable or by setting up a wireless connection), then open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run this command:

sudo fdisk -l

and post the output back here.

Hi Mark,
Is this what you want

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders, total 320173056 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00044757

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 320159384 160079661 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
peppermint@peppermint ~ $

Don W

Spot on :slight_smile:

OK, follow Emegra’s instructions…

REBOOT to the LiveCD … select “Try Peppermint” … once at the desktop, make sure you have an active interweb connection (either wired or wireless), then click the “Install Peppermint” icon on the desktop.

At some point it will ask if you want to “Install Alongside Windows”, select that, and use the slider to give Peppermint 40GB … then continue.

Also if/when offered “LVM” do NOT select it.

and if/when offered “Encrypted home folder” or “Encryption” do NOT select that either … if you need an encrypted folder we’ll sort that later.

hint’s -

Userrname - must be all lower case, and no spaces
Password/Re-enter password - must match
Hostname (PC name) - Keep it short with no spaces

If at any stage you’re not sure what to do, STOP, and ask … it’s nt a good idea to guess unless you’re happy to have to reinstall Windows too :wink:

There are some installation screenshots showing you what to expect that start about half way down this website:

clicking on them gives a larger view

Hi Mark,
I have installed PeppermintOS 4 alongside XP and the system is working well.
I would like to change my password in Peppermint, is this easy/possible ?
Would I be better making a new user account and running Peppermint from it ?

take care
Don W

If you add a new account you’ll have to make sure it’s a member of the sudo group.

Easiest way to change your password is to open a terminal and run:

sudo passwd username

(obviously replace “username” with your actual username)

You will then be prompted for your password … enter your CURRENT password.

You’ll then be prompted for your NEW password twice … after entering it twice it should tell you the password has been changed.

Be Aware - when entering a password into the Linux terminal, nothing will be echoed to screen (not even ******) but it IS going in … so just type it and hit enter.
Also remember passwords ARE case sensitive.

Thanks Mark,
I have successfully completed the password change.
Do I start installing packages now ?

take care
Don W

First thing to do would be a full system update

Open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

then

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

when that finishes … REBOOT.

Now have you got any ideas what software you’d like to install ?