Email programs can not see my network drive (Resolved)

I wonted to send an attachment with an email the document was on my network drive. For some reason none of my email programs web based or on the computer see the network drive.

The network drive is listed in the places and also in the home folder box marks. Any clues as to why it is not in the book mark list of the email clients.

Regards.

Where is the drive mounted ? … can you navigate to the mount point ?

Which email apps ?

It is a network Drive connected to my router by cable. My computer is also connected to the router by cable. smb://networkspace/

The drive is shown in network and I have access to the drive from programs such as Libreoffice.

But when I click on attach file in Thunderbird or webmail programs such as Aim mail the network drive is not listed in the locations to attach the file. Only locations on this computer are listed.

Now in Windows XP there is no problem as network is listed as a location.

Where is the drive mounted ?

what is the output from:

mount

userone@office2:~$ mount
/dev/sdb6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,commit=0)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/userone/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=userone)
userone@office2:~$

It is mounted on the desktop.

Mmm, it doesn’t look like the drive is mounted at “system” level, i.e. it’s mounted by a program , in which case only “aware” applications will see the drive. Solution(s);

a. Use a different type of drive share
b. Mount the drive at system level rather than mapping it through the file explorer

For example, add the following line to /etc/fstab;

//<server name>/<mount point> /mnt/shared cifs user=<user>,password=<pass>,domain=<domain>,uid=<you> 0 0

For this to work you will need to;

a. Create /mnt/shared (or similar with “mkdir”)
b. Replace the values enclosed in “<>” with values applicable to your share

To activate, simply do;

mount /mnt/shared

To make sure you have the right tools installed for this, make sure;

mount.cifs

Does something …

Hi, I share all my network with smba as we still have a windows pc as part of the network.

The network drive reports that the file system in use is cifs if this is of any use.

My system tells me I do not have cifs installed on my system.

What other type of drive share/s are there and can you run both at the same time so I still see the windows pc; This sounds the easy option.

Thanks.

Could I suggest sshfs? (or sftp as it’s sometimes known?)

Make sure your server has openssh-server installed, then from a client;

On Linux, “Connect to Server”, select “ssh”, enter the address of your server and a user/password for the server, and you’re off (!)

On Windows, you’ll need a sshfs client, loads around, if in doubt, take a look at “Cyberduck”.
Once you have a windows client installed, same principle applies, server name, user and password.
(will effectively present your home folder on the server as a share)

Note; also works over long distances, generally secure to use over the Internet , unlike cifs (!)
[cifs == Windows drive shares]

Thanks for this I will look into this and see what happens.

SSH dose not work it is not installed on the networkspace drive. It is only possible to mount the drive as a windows share.

As a matter of interest I mounted my DVD drive and the mail programs can see this drive even if it is mounted on the desk top.

So I do not see why the programs can not see the network drive.

It looks like the best option is going to be -" Mount the drive at system level rather than mapping it through the file explorer"

So I need more in-depth directions how to create the new directory.

How to open /etc/fstab to insert the new line of code.

There is a simple guide for editing etc of fstab over at the
Ubuntu Community Documentation Fstab - Community Help Wiki
The one thing to watch out for is the text editor they use like ‘gedit’ which you may not have on peppermint
(substitute any references with whatever text editor you may have)

I have done as suggested by mad penguin and I get the following error message.

mount error: could not resolve address for networkspace: No address associated with hostname
userone@office2:~$

Could you post the content of your fstab:

cat /etc/fstab

Also you could try to substitute the
///
with
///
if that works then add the ip address and server name to your hosts file
and then just use the server name option in the fstab

Problems all sorted by using this program pyNeighborhood 0.5.1 Automates the whole process.

Thanks for your assistance.

Glad it is all sorted