Exterior monitor

Hi Guys

I am using Peppermint on my Acer One netbook and need to use an exterior monitor ie my television. I am sure it is quite simple to do but… I can not do it :-[. Can some one please put me out of my misery and tell me the simple process of doing it?

Thanks John :slight_smile:

install arandr by opening a terminal and running:

sudo apt-get install arandr

now go to
menu > Preferences > ARandR

With the TV connected via the netbooks VGA port … in ARandR go to
Outputs > VGA1 > Activate

Drag the two monitor boxes to how you want them oriented (eg. if the boxes are on top of each other the monitors will mirror each other, but if they’re side by side you’ll have an extended desktop) … then go to
Layout > Apply

FYI - feel free to experiment in ARandR, changes made in ARandR will not survive a reboot so you can’t really go wrong :wink:

Thanks for info but, my computer did not respond to my command :frowning:

Did not respond?

Did it install correctly? If not, what errors were displayed?

I typed in sudo apt-get install arandr pressed enter then … nothing. It went back to my opening window. I went and finished my tea came back still nothing!!! Am I in the right command box ie run, in the menu list?

oops sorry ignore previous post. I experimented since I typed it.

I now get error: “sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted”

If you open a terminal window, do you get the same error if you run the command in there (as opposed to the “Run” application)?

No, not in the “Run” box … you need to enter that command in a terminal.

To open a terminal:-

menu > Accessories > Terminal

or just hit Ctrl+Alt+T

Be Aware - after entering the command and hitting enter you’ll be prompted for your password, whilst entering your password nothing will be echoed to screen (not even ******) but it IS going in, so just type it and hit enter.

[EDIT]

Or if you want to use the “Run” dialog in peppermint to run the terminal command … enter this in the Run dialog box:

lxterminal --command sudo apt-get install arandr -y

that will open the terminal and prompt for your password … once entered it will install arandr

I did finally type it in a terminal. An error came up of " sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted"

what’s the output from:

whoami ; groups

and

ls -l ~/.Xauthority

Thank you guys for your replies and suggestions. I finally did it through run dialogue using the code you gave me Mark. :slight_smile: