External audio output Mint 17.1

I finally got round to testing my new HDMI cable with my laptop yesterday, and was most impressed that it was very much plug-and-play. Linux Mint managed to detect the TV, and automatically set resolution & “stretch” the desktop to it, all within 2 seconds without me having to do anything. However, it didn’t take the audio - that was still left through the laptop speakers (come to think of it, I didn’t actually turn the TV up, so it could be my failing there :-[)

Anyone, this post is still valid because I want to get Bluetooth audio working. We have a soundbar that has Bluetooth input, and ideally I’d like to stream the audio from laptop to soundbar whilst the HDMI cable is inserted into the TV. I went into the “Bluetooth settings” in Mint, but it said “no Bluetooth devices detected”. Windows would beg to differ. I reckon this is a “lack of libraries” issue, but I’m pretty lost when it comes to Bluetooth. ::slight_smile:

Can I get some basic stuff that I can try to get Bluetooth recognised?

Is 17.1 still based on 14.04 ?

Is pulseaudio-module-bluetooth installed ?

Does it detect ANY bluetooth devices that are set as discoverable ?

Mint 17.1 is based on 14.04.1

I’ll have to check that tonight (I assume I install it if it’s not). Is there associated config that needs doing with that?

It doesn’t detect any Bluetooth devices at all (according to the GUI), I don’t even get as far attempting discovery (it’s like it’s hard/soft blocked, but I assume that doesn’t exist with Bluetooth). There is no Bluetooth key/switch on the laptop

Could be driver then … what’s the output from:

rfkill list

and:

hcitool dev

and:

hcitool scan

and:

lsusb | grep -i blue

and/or:

lspci -vnn | grep -i blue

or maybe:

dmesg | grep -i blue

and can you post the output from:

lsmod

for good measure :slight_smile:

Will do tonight, thanks Mark
(might even play with Mint’s new pastebin function!)

Ok, pastebin is here - http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/68x1

So dmesg sees Bluetooth, and the module is loaded, but nothing else sees it?!

Edit: pulseaudio-module-bluetooth is installed, for reference

Edit 2: Kernel version is 3.16.0-25-generic, in case that’s relevant

Are you fully updated ?

what’s the output from

lsusb

and

lspci

and does anything happen if you load either the hc_vhci and/or hci_uart drivers:

sudo modprobe hci_vhci
sudo modprobe hci_uart

ie. does:

hcitool dev

list a bluetooth device after they are loaded ?

No change after those commands, new pastebin below:
http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/qdxk

I’m going to reboot into Windows to see if I can find more info about the Bluetooth on this thing

There’s nothing at that pastebin address :o

If it’s not listed by lsusb or lspci, see if you can dig out the bluetooth adapters vendor:product ID string from the Windows “Device Manager”.

Is this a laptop … if so - make/model ?
if not, do you know the motherboard make/model ?

As the bluetooth adapter is usually part of the wireless adapter, can you also post the output from:

sudo lshw -C network

and

lspci -vnn | grep -i net

Lol, what a prat - new link http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/iadt

Couldn’t find it under Windows either now >:(
Can’t even find the Bluetooth section in Control Panel, something weird is going on. It’s an Acer Aspire 5755G (i5-2450M, 4Gb model)

It’s not listed under lshw or lspci, just the LAN & Wifi adaptors. Seems like a bit of a dead end unless you’ve got a better idea?

Can you pastebin the full output from:

sudo lshw

Are you 100% sure bluetooth worked in Windows ? … Acer have a habit of not always including a bluetooth adapter, even where there may be a bluetooth hardware switch.

Are you sure bluetooth isn’t disabled somewhere (BIOS / hardware switch / key combo) ?

It’s here - http://paste.linuxmint.com/view/gyfp

I can’t be 100% sure I’ve ever had Bluetooth working on here, but there are Windows drivers for the Acer Aspire 5755G on their website for 2 Bluetooth adaptors (I’ve tried both to no avail). I’ve got a bluetooth folder, with received files in it, but I may well have copied them on from somewhere else. Damn my memory!

I think we’ve had a good stab at this, I guess I’ll have to settle for a good old 3.5mm cable. Shame it’s come to that in 2015, but I guess that’s what you get for buying a budget laptop :frowning:

Yeah they did that laptop with
a) a Broadcom adapter
b) an Atheros adapter
c) no bluetooth adapter

If the Windows device manager doesn’t list anything, you probably have the one without a bluetooth adapter fitted …
(I’m pretty sure they used an Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless/bluetooth adapter when they had bluetooth … but yours has the Atheros AR9287)

You could always get a USB bluetooth adapter or buy any Half mini PCIe wireless/bluetooth adapter and fit it internally.

Thanks Mark, confirmed my suspicions (I couldn’t derive the conclusion from the data I was looking at)
I think I’ll look towards one of the minature USB ones (like the kind you get with wireless mice), how can I be sure to get a Linux compatible one. More than that though - do you think there would be noticeable lag between picture and sound, if I fired the sound via Bluetooth rather than 3.5mm audio cable?

Bluetooth audio was perfectly in sync with video in VLC for my sons bluetooth (A2DP) headphones

How about this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/greymobiles-Bluetooth-Compatible-Wireless-Transfer/dp/B0013BC5EO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
2 comments say it works in Linux/Ubuntu … even though some people had problems with it under Vista :slight_smile:

Supports A2DP (bluetooth audio) … or so it says.

And at only £2.97 with free UK postage not a killer if it doesn’t work :slight_smile:

Thanks Mark, will check it out at lunch (if I get one)

Be Aware - A2DP was a little buggy under 14.04, it is possible to sort out though.

There’s a post on here somewhere which mentions it under Peppermint 5 … I’ll see if I can find it

[EDIT]

Here it is:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=11831.msg95701#msg95701
They mmay have fixed it since … so try it without that fix first.

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:
Any chance it’s been patched upstream by now? Launchpad suggests no, which is a bit disappointing :frowning:

I don’t know anything about bluetooth audio implementation - is the A2DP standard a universal bluetooth audio protocol, or is it some fancy new, not-generally-supported protocol, and there is a standard lo-fi protocol to fall back to? (a bit like open-source graphics drivers, if the closed-source don’t work/aren’t available)

A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) is a bluetooth profile for media streaming between bluetooth devices.

For devices that don’t support A2DP the bluetooth manager will normally fall back to the lower quality HSP profile (HeadSet Profile) as used by those bluetooth phone headsets.

See here:

Ah, I can’t find the spec on my soundbar to see if it supports it anyway, so I might be in luck (as in, if it doesn’t support A2LP, but neither does the adaptor, it’ll still work). I guess the quality will be crap though.

I’ll bite the bullet and buy it tonight, only one way to find out!