Failed downloads in Firefox (SOLVED)

Hi Guys

I have Transmission installed on my NAS (Openmediavault) I also have a Watch folder located at /mnt/NAS/multimedia/Torrents/torrent-files, so any torrents dropped in there will automatically be picked up by Transmission and downloaded which works fine, but the problem is if I try to download a torrent directly into the watch folder it fails to download, it doesn’t have to be a torrent file or that particular folder, it could be any file to any location on the NAS

So to simplify Firefox will not download any file to a network location in particular my NAS, I’m not sure if this is fixable or just a limitation in Firefox (or possibly Openmediavault) but it certainly never used to be a limitation as I remember being able to do this before when I used Freenas as my NAS operating system, I also remember being able to designate download locations depending on file type in Firefox which I no longer seem to be able to do

Any help would be much appreciated

Graeme

So what happens if you download the torrent file in Firefox to your (say) desktop and then move it to the NAS with your file manager?
Or you are saying that Firefox cannot see your NAS to download the file to in the first place?

Also, how is the “watch” folder being mounted ?

So what happens if you download the torrent file in Firefox to your (say) desktop and then move it to the NAS with your file manager?

It works fine like that, that’s how I’m doing it just now

Or you are saying that Firefox cannot see your NAS to download the file to in the first place?

No it see’s the NAS because I can navigate directly to the Watch folder from within Firefox

Also, how is the "watch" folder being mounted ?

The Watch folder resides inside a volume (Multimedia) which is mounted in /etc/fstab

Graeme

OK, I’m baffled … I have no problem downloading directly to the NAS in Firefox

is it just “torrent” files and that particular directory … or can’t you download anything directly to the NAS via Firefox ?

Just trying to get the picture what is happening.
You say it fails to download to the NAS.
a) Is the process of downloading stalls and produces no file in the destination folder.
b) It downloads the file but it is corrupt (not usable by Transmission)
c) Is this limited to torrents only but other files download correctly?

is it just "torrent" files and that particular directory .. or can't you download anything directly to the NAS via Firefox ?

No it’s any file type to any location on the NAS. it’s only torrents that.s causing me a peoblem

a) Is the process of downloading stalls and produces no file in the destination folder.

Nothing really happens except it tries to download but shows up as failed in Firefox

b) It downloads the file but it is corrupt (not usable by Transmission)

There are no error messages just a message in Firefox downloads “Failed to download”

c) Is this limited to torrents only but other files download correctly?

Any file type to any location on the NAS

Graeme

Like Mark, I have no problem downloading directly to the Debian server share (mounted in fstab) in Firefox
Which brings me to the question: How are you mounting yours?

Well the shares are mounted at etc/fstab at this location /mnt/NAS/multimedia/Torrents/torrent-files,

torrent-files is the watch directory, I dont know what else to add except other than trying this in another web browser or another PC on the same network ;m at a s loss what to add

Anyway I.ll try it in Chromium and post back

Graeme

In Firefox when you select to “save”, how do you browse to the download location ?

A shortcut on the side panel, or by navigating to
/mnt/NAS/multimedia/Torrents/torrent-files
from the root of the file system ?

What’s your fstab entry for the NAS ?

and do you have permission to write there ?

In Firefox when you select to "save", how do you browse to the download location ?

I have a shortcut on the side panel, but navigating through the filesystem makes no difference

What's your fstab entry for the NAS ?

//192.168.2.50/multimedia /mnt/NAS/multimedia cifs iocharset=utf8,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 0 0

and do you have permission to write there ?

I think so as I can write, rename and create new folders etc without opening as root

http://imgur.com/FKdb60E

EDIT

This does seem to be a permissions problem, I tried it in Chromium and it fails with an error message “Failed-Insufficient Permissions” Firefox only says “Download Failed”

Graeme

Try making fstab line to look like this, assuming the share has no password:
(comment out the original line with #)

//192.168.2.50/multimedia /mnt/NAS/multimedia cifs password=,uid=1000  0    0

reboot and try again with FF
That is how I got mine setup

Ok That sorted it

Many thanks guys :slight_smile:

Graeme

You are welcome. :slight_smile: