First Impressions

Hi All
Have been running Linux Mint 64bit from the live DVD for a couples of days now. And boy was I impressed.
The graphics seem a lot crisper, as I mess about with photos a lot this a great plus point. And am looking forward to using gimp instead of photoshop, as I have read a lot about Gimp and photoshop can sometimes be a bit of a handful.
I also watch a lot of online video even that seems to run a lot better.
After installation proper last night onto two computers it just got better and faster.
The only thing I was worried about was would it find my printers and scanner, found my Epson printer on install so not a problem their. Next job is to see if it will find my Samsung ML-1750 Laser printer but that is for another day.
I have an old hp scanjet scanner which I could not use on my 64bit Vista PC as hp were not going to release any 64 bit drivers for it, so that also is for another day.
I will be back again to let you know how I get on.
On a final note, I have an HTC Desire Andriod phone which it finds straight away so again no problem their. And my son said he has no problems with his iPod, which it found straight after a fresh install of mint.

Thanks for that… always nice to know how people are getting on :slight_smile: … people considering a switch may also find it reassuring.

Just a quick observation, just downloaded both Ubuntu Live DVD’s (10.10) and had a play with both.
My Sony VAIO laptop took to it like a duck to water. No problems. :slight_smile:
My 64bit desktop also a dream. Has made my move to Ubuntu more urgent. :slight_smile:
Also burning the image files to DVD was a dream using Linux Mint straight out of the box. As users of nero will know that to burn a image file to disc was always a pain. >:(

The Cockney Mackem!

Hi All

Have now had Ubuntu 10.10 64bit installed since Monday 12th October. No problems to report.
Been using internet and email and trying some of the installed apps with no problems, but have installed Thunderbird as my email client by choice (been using Thunderbird for a number of years now).
One major plus I have found a family history app that I can use as my previous app will not run under Linux. :slight_smile:
Have still to try my scanner so nothing to report on that. :wink:
On this installation great. ;D

Late last night I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 32bit on another PC, but had Grub Boot Loader problems. This PC has two 250 gig hard drives in an array, so will be hoping to sort this later today. By mistake I have just noticed that I had installed 10.04, >:( will try 10.10 later today.
If any one has had problems with array’s and Ubuntu I would be happy for their thoughts.

The Cockney Mackem 8)

You will want to get the Alternate Install CD from here:
http://gb.releases.ubuntu.com//10.10/
or
http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/

More info here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID
and
http://kuparinen.org/martti/comp/ubuntu/en/raid.html

Rule of thumb;

Everyone will tell you that hardware RAID controllers are better than using Linux’s software RAID.
This is inaccurate.

If you’re using an on-board RAID controller, step one would be to disable it and present two hard drives to Linux and take it from there.
If you need help using software RAID, just say … one of the failings on earlier “desktop” version of Ubuntu was the lack of RAID support in the installer, although it was present in the server version.
(It was / is however possible to use RAID in the desktop installer with only a small amount of tweaking …)

Just a a guideline, this week I installed a fast server with six 10k hard drives and an on-board (expensive) RAID controller using the on-board RAID10 setup.
Throughput was 298Mb/sec.

I then configured all the drives as single RAID0’s (thus presenting six hard drives to Linux) and put a software RAID10 on top, WITH a hot spare (so only actually using 5 drives).
Throughput was 478Mb/sec.

(!)

The alternate CD (or server CD) should give you all the software RAID stuff … but I don’t think it supports proper RAID10.

In the desktop version;

select “try”
run a shell session

modprobe raid10 mdadm --create /dev/md0 -n2 -p f2 --level=10 --chunk=512 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3

Then run the installer ‘without’ rebooting first … and it “should” see /dev/md0 in the partition editor.

Notes;

• Partition the disk first, make sure the partitions you’re going to use are of type ‘fd’.
  • the “-p f2” is critical, without this your RAID will run at half speed.
  • (/dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 are examples, substitute your own device names)

Hi All

Thanks for all the prompt answers. Will work through them later.

Its a long time since I built or worked on this machine but from memory I think it is onboard and through the bios. Think I will use the alternative CD first and see how it goes. Not bothered if its two disks or it sees it as a 1. Also have been backing everything up as I go, and had problems backing it up using Clonezilla so had to do a full system backup in Windows which took all night (yawn not like Clonezilla).

Will be back later and report again.

The Cockney Mackem!

Hi Again Guys.

Am I being a bit stupid :-[.
The one thing that is a bit confusing at the moment, is the file structure. I am use to seeing A:, C: etc. Now I am seeing sda, xda System File etc.
Is there somewhere to look to explain the differance. Or can I just Google or Wiki it to find an explanation.

Till Later.

The Cockney Mackem!

Linux doesn’t use drive lettering, it uses a unified directory structure, which follows(ish) the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) … it does give each drive a name (sda, sdb, hda, etc.) and partitions (sda1, sda2, sdb1, etc.) but these partitions can be mounted anywhere in the file system tree.

The file system has a root, not the drive(s).

So in a way the drives are attached to the file system structure rather than the file system being attached to the drive stucture.

See here:
http://johnimbong.com/readings/2007/linux-filesystem.php
and
http://www.debianadmin.com/linux-directory-structure-overview.html

Linux doesn’t work out where thing are based on a drives root… but on where things are from the root of the file system “/” which can be on a single drive/partition, or spread across many drives/partitions.

Let’s say you insert a CDROM… it isn’t given a drive letter with it’s own root as in Windows… it just gets mounted as a directory “within” the existing directory tree… indeed you can choose where to mount this directory in the tree.

So you’re going to have to start thinking in terms of the file system, and where to attach the drives/partitions… rather than the drives and where to put the directories :wink: (kind of)… have fun getting your head round it … really it’s a simple and very flexible concept, but can be a bit confusing (at first) after years being used to the Windows way :wink:

DOS assigns drive letters to partitions … I’m not sure I could give you a hard and fast definition of “how” it maps, other than it normally assigns letters to different partitions (sequentially), then assigns letters to CD’s etc. So a typical system with one hard drive/partition and one CD will have drive letters C: and D: for the Hard drive and CD respectively. (where A: and B: are reserved for floppy drives)

Linux is a little easier (!)

For hard drives, the first two letters denote the driver in use (SCSI Device = ‘sd’, IDE Device = ‘hd’ , etc …)
The next letter denotes the unit, so first drive ‘a’, second drive ‘b’ etc …
Last digit(s) denote the partition number …

So, /dev/sda1 is the first partition on the first disk.
/dev/sdc2 is the second partition on the third disk … etc …

And the cd is /dev/cdrom (which in device speak is /dev/sr0, where ‘sr’ is the driver and ‘0’ is the device number - partitions don’t apply)

Thanks for the replys.

I fully understand the DOS file system, as I go back to the old dos days (yes I am that old but only just). So I know the history which some times does come in handy. the best is when people have to write something in cmd line and they have not got a clue, and this old fart knows what to do. ;D
So I will follow the links above to convert my mind, as it will make the job of migrating that much easier.

The Cockney Mackem!

If you’re in the mood for some reading, see if any of these help
http://linuxforums.org.uk/ubuntu/ubuntu-andor-generic-linux-books-or-text-()/

Thanks Mark

Have download and will read at my leisure. :wink:

The Cockney Mackem!

Hi All

Big day today, I have two drives in my machine. A small 74gig WD Raptor (10,000rpm spin speed) and a normal 320gig drive. I had noticed that Ubuntu had been installed on the wrong drive for my preference. it was on the larger slower drive, I want it on the smaller but faster drive.
So I decided a fresh install was needed to install the system files on the 74 gig drive. At first it was not seeing the smaller drive, until I found that this drive was still in the NTFS format from the old windows system. Now you can understand my confusion on one of the previous posts (Thanks Mad Penguin). So after a little play with System/ Administration/ Disk Utility that problem was sorted.
Then came the next problem trying to rename the larger drive and add files to this storage drive as I like to call it. I find I do not own this drive, it belongs to root and I can not add or alter anything on it. After a bit of research and reading (Thanks Mark Greaves, see previous post), again this was not a problem with Disk Utility. What a wonderful piece of kit Disk Utility is, as users of FDisk and Format commands will understand.
So I sit here now writing this post with my system set up and named as I want it. I would post the image of my Home File, if I could find were it has saved the screen grab to. ???

Scanner and printers next, but has I have said before, that is for another day.

The more I use Ubuntu Linux the more I like it, no way would I go back to MS Windows. ;D

The Cockney Mackem!

Glad you’ve got your PC set up the way you want it :slight_smile: … to find your screenshot…

Hit your “PrintScrn” key and see where the “Save in folder:” is set to.

Or, go to Applications>Accessories>Search for Files…
the screenshot will be in your home directory somewhere.

as with Windows you can use wildcards, such as *.jpg in the search term.

or just part of the file name such as screen which will return files such as Screenshot-1.jpg etc.

Or, use the “find” command to search your home directory (~/) for files with .jpg in the name:

find ~/ -name *.jpg

For further info on the “find” command…

either read the man page:

man find

(BTW, hit the “Q” key when you want to exit the man page)

and/or see here:
http://content.hccfl.edu/pollock/unix/findcmd.htm

hth.

Hi Again

Scanners and Printers both found no problems. Just inserted the USB and bang found them straight away. Even HP don’t supply support for my scanner on Windows XP 64bit.

Not only is Ubuntu saving me money on OS cost, it has now saved me money on hardware. ;D

It just gets better.

Will back in a while. Going for a play on this pc and install Ubuntu onto two more pc’s and a laptop.
Happy days. 8)
The Cockney Mackem!

Hi All

Just a quick update.
Been playing all week now, not come across any problems yet.
If I get time tomorrow I am hoping to install 10.10 32bit on my raid machine (downloaded the alternative install). Will report back at a later date to let you know how I get on.

One thing that has become obvious is the amount of software out there for Linux. Is their anything that software is not available for, because I cant find anything.

The Cockney Mackem!

sourceforge.net currently has 260,000 projects available, most are for Linux :slight_smile:

So not much missing… other than maybe a shortage of games, but then that’s what Xboxes are for :wink:

That has always been my point Mark, PC’s are for working not gaming.
PS3’s, Xbox and Nintendo are for games has been a constant talking point in our house for years,

The Cockney Mackem!