Flash crash (Solved)

Hi Guys

The missus has been having problems playing flash video, some will play some wont, video that will play on my PC running identical systems (PM4 & Chromium) wont play on hers so I tried installing the latest pepperflash plugin as per these instructions, but still no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated

many thanks

Graeme

On her PC what the output from:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags

pat@Linux2 ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow extd_apicid
pat@Linux2 ~ $

OK, so it’s not the sse2 issue (didn’t think it was because on systems without sse2 flashplayer tends to just crash on everything)

We can try an earlier flashplayer if you’d like ? … which web browser ?

Could this be a lack of memory thing … does the pages she’s visiting have a TON of flash content (and you’re not using something like flashblock) ?

Could this be a lack of memory thing ..

I don’t think so, she has 2gb of ram and it’s a fast PC otherwise

does the pages she's visiting have a TON of flash content

It’s generally You Tube some will play some wont, one video in question is a video my daughter has posted on her wedding page on www.wedpics.com, there’s only the one video there and it fails with the message

There was an error playing this video please try a different browser or make sure you have the latest flash player installed
(and you're not using something like flashblock) ?

I’ve looked in extensions and there’s no mention of flashblock

We can try an earlier flashplayer if you'd like ? .. which web browser ?

sorry I missed that question she’s running Chromium

OK, 32bit or 64bit PM4

and do you know how to undo the pepperflash thingy ?

OK, 32bit or 64bit PM4

32 bit

and do you know how to undo the pepperflash thingy ?

in a word…No

If you followed MY instructions for installing pepperflash…

sudo gedit /etc/chromium-browser/default

and make it read:-

CHROMIUM_FLAGS=""

SAVE the file.

Now let’s unlnstall the adobe flashplayer:

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer

Hopefully, after closing ALL web browser instances and reopening chromium, you now don’t have a flashplayer and cannot view youtube at all. ← check, and if you can still play ANY flash content, stop and let me know

OK, now run:

mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins

then

cd ~/.mozilla/plugins

then

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11876059/flashplayer-11.1-32bit.tar.gz

then

tar xvf flashplayer-11.1-32bit.tar.gz

Again, close ALL web browser instances, and reopen chromium … now test the youtube videos again.

Unfortunately it’s just the same

here’s a screenshot of the error

OK, I just went to the same site in Firefox, and got the same error message … I right-clicked on the video, and selected “Allow from this site” … then it played.

Is that option available in chromium ?

Is that option available in chromium ?

I don’t see that option

It’s doing the same thing on my PC (PM3 Chromium) but it run fine on the same PC with PM4 Chromium

Just a thought … has your PC got ubuntu-restricted-extras and lunubtu-restricted-extras but the others haven’t ?

Weirdly … it works for me in chromium with pepperflash and adobe flash … and now I can’t get it to NOT work in firefox :o

My PC (PM4) has ubuntu-restricted-extras but not lubuntu-restricted-extras, my wifes PC has neither

the PM3 partition on my PC doesn’t have any of them installed and it wont run the video either

try installing them both.

tell me when you’re done and we’ll go back to the latest flashplayer.

ok I’ve installed them, but still not getting the video to play

run:

rm -v ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

and

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer

now close ALL web browser instances … and reopen Chromium … go to

chrome://plugins/

Is there anything listed for “Adobe Flash Player” ? … if not, run:

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-gtk

RESTART Chromium … and test flash

Adobe Flashplayer was not listed in the plugins and I got this message when I tried to install

pat@Linux2 ~ $ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin adobe-flash-properties-gtk[sudo] password for pat: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package adobe-flashplugin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'adobe-flashplugin' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package adobe-flash-properties-gtk
pat@Linux2 ~ 

$

Incidentally installing ubuntu & lubuntu-restricted-extras got it working on my PC running PM3

Just do:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

then.

Gimme a sec with this … I’m not even convinced the video on that site requires flash … i’ve disabled EVERY plugin in chromium, AND IT STILL PLAYS :confused:
(I’m thinking it’s possibly HTML5)