FLASH problems again!

Mark, I spoke too soon- when I clicked on you tube last night the video came on so I presumed it was fine, but today on each vid I’ve tried it comes on for a few secs and then stops. ITV.com won’r load either!

Are any of those actually still using flash as their main player ?

When you right-click on a video in youtube, does it mention “Adobe” or “Flash” anywhere in the menu ?

I would presume that flash is needed for vids? There is no mention of flash when r click on you tube. Dunno about itv.com, just get an uh oh thing something is wrong.

Youtube switched to HTML5 a while ago unless you use a plugin to force flash.

Now you/we can either
a) install the plugin - this will probably make youtube work in FF, but not (most of the stuff) on ITV.com.
b) attempt to update firefox
c) just switch to chromium

?

I already updated Firefox Mark and thus the problems started- you tube etc worked then. I also installed Chromium but it would not work- my Mint distro is so old it can’t take it ( they told me that was why it would not work on the Mint forum). Looks like very little will work on here now! Can’t wait til the Chromebook’s charger arrives!

You updated FF, but it didn’t update to the latest version … you’re on FF 52 but the latest version is 56 (which obviously isn’t in the 12.04 repo)

[EDIT]

We can download 56 and see if it works ?

OR

We can install the plugin that forces Youtube to use flash … but this won’t help with ITV.com
YouTube Flash Video Player – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-GB)

[EDIT 2]

The problems here are:-

a) everyones’s dropping support for 32bit now
and
b) everyone’s dropping flash too

Thanks Mark- the problem is this Mint is too old for updated firefox. I have added the plug in but you tube still does not work- buffering. If support for 32 bit is being dropped is it even worth putting another HD/SSD and new distro on this netbook?

Have you also enabled the plugin … you need to TELL it to use flash instead of HTML5

And not all videos on youtube even have a flash version any more.

Do you wanna try the latest FF ?

Yeah, there is nowhere to tell it to use the flash and the page takes like 5 mins to fully load up. I was told my version of Mint is no longer supported for updates so it might make things worse. It’s annoying tech keeps changing- when I got this netbook it worked lightning fast! I hope my Chromebook will stay in date- it seems to as updates are automatically added.

I repeat … do you want to try the latest Firefox ? (ignore what you’ve been told).

Another option might be to go back to the previous version of FF, but I’m betting you don’t know what version that was ? … I guess we could try 51.0.1 ?

[EDIT]

Trying either (or both) of these options will NOT remove the current versions of FF, so it can’t hurt to try.

[EDIT 2]

If support for 32 bit is being dropped is it even worth putting another HD/SSD and new distro on this netbook?

The only way we can answer that is…

a) does the netbook support 64bit ?
or
b) to tests it with an up to date 32bit distro before buying an SSD/HDD

[EDIT 3]

These links are only here for my future reference:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Yeah, I don’t know what my previous FF was. Well I can try the latest and see what happens! I don’t think this netbook supports 64 bit, We could do another systems spec to find out? (Sorry been cleaning up and hanging up laundry- no rest for the wicked…)

Okay, run these commands in sequence:

sudo mv -v /opt/firefox /opt/firefox-old

(don’t worry if it says that file doesn’t exist, it was a “just in case” thing)

Now run:

cd /opt

then

sudo wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0.1/linux-i686/en-GB/firefox-56.0.1.tar.bz2

then

sudo tar xjvf firefox-56.0.1.tar.bz2

Now close ALL running instances of Firefox

With Firefox closed, run:

cd ~

then

tar cjvf mozilla-backup.tar.bz2 .mozilla

now does Firefox (56.0.1) start if you run:

/opt/firefox/firefox

Well I’ve done all that exactly as instructed. I don’t know if it’s a new FF or not. The you tube flash video player icon is there with my other FF icons but you tube takes an age to load up and the video starts then stops running and only the sound can be heard as before.

If you started it with

/opt/firefox/firefox

and NOT from the menu, then it would have been firefox 56.0.1
(but you can always check by hitting Alt+H then A … to open the “About Firefox” dialog)

I’m beginning to think this isn’t a FF version problem … when FF updated, did you notice if you got a flashplugin-installer update too ?

Just out that code into the terminal and this is what returned:

karij@karij-Inspiron-1011 ~ $ /opt/firefox/firefo
bash: /opt/firefox/firefo: No such file or directory
karij@karij-Inspiron-1011 ~ $

The icon of the flash plug in is there but as I mentioned, you tube takes AGES to load and then the vid starts but lags then stops and there is only sound.

When I do Alt+F then A all that happens is my save file application!

You missed the final “x” in that command … probably best to copy/paste commands into the terminal.

WITH FIREFOX CLOSED, does running:

/opt/firefox/firefox

start up firefox ?

If it does, you can check it’s Firefox 56.0.1 by hitting Alt+H then A … to open the “About Firefox” dialog.

Doing the terminal command made firefox load and this is what came into the terminal:

karij@karij-Inspiron-1011 ~ $ /opt/firefox/firefox
1507545295347	addons.xpi	WARN	Error parsing extensions state: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [amIAddonManagerStartup.readStartupData]"  nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm :: loadExtensionState :: line 1554"  data: no] Stack trace: loadExtensionState()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:1554 < getInstallState()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:1589 < checkForChanges()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:3109 < startup()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:2188 < callProvider()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:269 < _startProvider()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:739 < startup()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:906 < startup()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:3090 < observe()@jar:file:///opt/firefox/omni.ja!/components/addonManager.js:65
1507545296528	addons.webextension.<unknown>	WARN	Loading extension 'null': Reading manifest: Error processing background.persistent: Event pages are not currently supported. This will run as a persistent background page.
1507545296629	addons.webextension.<unknown>	WARN	Loading extension 'null': Reading manifest: Error processing options_page: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1507545298536	addons.xpi	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your options_ui options.
1507545301317	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Loading extension 'adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net': Reading manifest: Error processing background.persistent: Event pages are not currently supported. This will run as a persistent background page.
1507545301425	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Loading extension 'adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net': Reading manifest: Error processing options_page: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1507545302192	addons.webextension.jid1-dwtGBwQjx3SUQc@jetpack	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1507545302207	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1507545302223	addons.webextension.{f3bd3dd2-2888-44c5-91a2-2caeb33fb898}	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
Promise rejected after context unloaded: Message manager disconnected
console.log: install ADDON_INSTALL
console.log: ENDING STUDY DUE TO INELIGIBILITY
console.log: shutdown ADDON_UNINSTALL
console.log: uninstall or disable
console.log: Jsms unloading
console.log: uninstall ADDON_UNINSTALL
[Parent 3471] WARNING: pipe error (159): Connection reset by peer: file /home/worker/workspace/build/src/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 353

No dialogue box opened- just the Mozilla support page ( tried this several times) which didn’t reveal what firefox it is. You tube still does not play the vids peoperly- page takes awhile to load up with a vid that runs, lags then stops and only the dialogue/musicd can be heard.

Okay let’s try Firefox 51.0.1, run these commands in sequence:

cd /opt

then:

sudo rm -rv firefox

then

sudo wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/51.0.1/linux-i686/en-GB/firefox-51.0.1.tar.bz2

then

sudo tar xjvf firefox-51.0.1.tar.bz2

Now close ALL running instances of Firefox

Now does Firefox (51.0.1) start if you run:

/opt/firefox/firefox

Results from the terminal:

arij@karij-Inspiron-1011 ~ $ cd /opt
karij@karij-Inspiron-1011 /opt $ sudo rm -rv firefox
[sudo] password for karij: 
removed `firefox/liblgpllibs.so'
removed `firefox/libsoftokn3.so'
removed `firefox/crashreporter.ini'
removed `firefox/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js'
removed directory: `firefox/defaults/pref'
removed directory: `firefox/defaults'
removed `firefox/plugin-container.sig'
removed `firefox/icons/updater.png'
removed directory: `firefox/icons'
removed `firefox/libnssdbm3.so'
removed `firefox/libsmime3.so'
removed `firefox/minidump-analyzer'
removed `firefox/omni.ja'
removed `firefox/firefox-bin.sig'
removed `firefox/Throbber-small.gif'
removed `firefox/precomplete'
removed `firefox/libnspr4.so'
removed `firefox/platform.ini'
removed `firefox/gtk2/libmozgtk.so'
removed directory: `firefox/gtk2'
removed `firefox/libmozsqlite3.so'
removed `firefox/libxul.so'
removed `firefox/libnssutil3.so'
removed `firefox/dependentlibs.list'
removed `firefox/updater.ini'
removed `firefox/libnss3.so'
removed `firefox/chrome.manifest'
removed `firefox/libnssckbi.so'
removed `firefox/pingsender'
removed `firefox/libplc4.so'
removed `firefox/updater'
removed `firefox/libnssdbm3.chk'
removed `firefox/libxul.so.sig'
removed `firefox/application.ini'
removed `firefox/crashreporter'
removed `firefox/firefox'
removed `firefox/update-settings.ini'
removed `firefox/plugin-container'
removed `firefox/libmozavcodec.so'
removed `firefox/removed-files'
removed `firefox/libplds4.so'
removed `firefox/libfreeblpriv3.so'
removed `firefox/run-mozilla.sh'
removed `firefox/firefox.sig'
removed `firefox/libssl3.so'
removed `firefox/libmozsandbox.so'
removed `firefox/icudt59l.dat'
removed `firefox/firefox-bin'
removed `firefox/fonts/EmojiOneMozilla.ttf'
removed directory: `firefox/fonts'
removed `firefox/libfreeblpriv3.chk'
removed `firefox/libsoftokn3.chk'
removed `firefox/gmp-clearkey/0.1/manifest.json'
removed `firefox/gmp-clearkey/0.1/libclearkey.so.sig'
removed `firefox/gmp-clearkey/0.1/libclearkey.so'
removed directory: `firefox/gmp-clearkey/0.1'
removed directory: `firefox/gmp-clearkey'
removed `firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png'
removed directory: `firefox/browser/icons'
removed `firefox/browser/blocklist.xml'
removed `firefox/browser/omni.ja'
removed `firefox/browser/features/shield-recipe-client@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/clicktoplay-rollout@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/formautofill@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/activity-stream@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/onboarding@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/firefox@getpocket.com.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/webcompat@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/aushelper@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/e10srollout@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/screenshots@mozilla.org.xpi'
removed `firefox/browser/features/followonsearch@mozilla.com.xpi'
removed directory: `firefox/browser/features'
removed `firefox/browser/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi'
removed directory: `firefox/browser/extensions'
removed `firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default16.png'
removed `firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png'
removed `firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png'
removed directory: `firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default'
removed directory: `firefox/browser/chrome/icons'
removed directory: `firefox/browser/chrome'
removed `firefox/browser/chrome.manifest'
removed `firefox/browser/crashreporter-override.ini'
removed directory: `firefox/browser'
removed `firefox/libmozgtk.so'
removed `firefox/libmozavutil.so'
removed directory: `firefox'
karij@karij-Inspiron-1011 /opt $ sudo wget https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/51.0.1/linux-i686/en-GB/firefox-51.0.1.tar.bz2
--2017-10-09 14:48:58--  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/51.0.1/linux-i686/en-GB/firefox-51.0.1.tar.bz2
Resolving ftp.mozilla.org (ftp.mozilla.org)... 52.222.231.94
Connecting to ftp.mozilla.org (ftp.mozilla.org)|52.222.231.94|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 57614217 (55M) [application/x-tar]
Saving to: `firefox-51.0.1.tar.bz2'

100%[======================================>] 57,614,217  1.22M/s   in 49s     

2017-10-09 14:49:48 (1.11 MB/s) - `firefox-51.0.1.tar.bz2' saved [57614217/57614217]

karij@karij-Inspiron-1011 /opt $ sudo tar xjvf firefox-51.0.1.tar.bz2
firefox/
firefox/libnss3.so
firefox/platform.ini
firefox/libnspr4.so
firefox/libplc4.so
firefox/run-mozilla.sh
firefox/defaults/
firefox/defaults/pref/
firefox/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js
firefox/gtk2/
firefox/gtk2/libmozgtk.so
firefox/updater
firefox/libsmime3.so
firefox/libmozgtk.so
firefox/plugin-container
firefox/libmozavutil.so
firefox/libnssdbm3.chk
firefox/icons/
firefox/icons/updater.png
firefox/libnssckbi.so
firefox/libnssdbm3.so
firefox/gmp-clearkey/
firefox/gmp-clearkey/0.1/
firefox/gmp-clearkey/0.1/clearkey.info
firefox/gmp-clearkey/0.1/libclearkey.so
firefox/Throbber-small.gif
firefox/browser/
firefox/browser/features/
firefox/browser/features/firefox@getpocket.com.xpi
firefox/browser/features/e10srollout@mozilla.org.xpi
firefox/browser/features/webcompat@mozilla.org.xpi
firefox/browser/features/aushelper@mozilla.org.xpi
firefox/browser/icons/
firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
firefox/browser/crashreporter-override.ini
firefox/browser/blocklist.xml
firefox/browser/omni.ja
firefox/browser/extensions/
firefox/browser/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi
firefox/browser/chrome.manifest
firefox/browser/chrome/
firefox/browser/chrome/icons/
firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/
firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png
firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png
firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default16.png
firefox/browser/components/
firefox/browser/components/libbrowsercomps.so
firefox/browser/components/components.manifest
firefox/dependentlibs.list
firefox/libmozavcodec.so
firefox/liblgpllibs.so
firefox/update-settings.ini
firefox/libmozsqlite3.so
firefox/updater.ini
firefox/application.ini
firefox/omni.ja
firefox/libsoftokn3.so
firefox/firefox-bin
firefox/libsoftokn3.chk
firefox/libfreeblpriv3.so
firefox/crashreporter.ini
firefox/libfreeblpriv3.chk
firefox/icudt56l.dat
firefox/firefox
firefox/libssl3.so
firefox/removed-files
firefox/libnssutil3.so
firefox/precomplete
firefox/fonts/
firefox/fonts/EmojiOneMozilla.ttf
firefox/libxul.so
/opt/firefox/firefox
firefox/libplds4.so
firefox/crashreporter
karij@karij-Inspiron-1011 /opt $ /opt/firefox/firefox
1507557064913	addons.webextension.lumerias-instagram@lumerias.com	WARN	Loading extension 'lumerias-instagram@lumerias.com': Reading manifest: Error processing developer: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1507557065100	addons.webextension.jid1-dwtGBwQjx3SUQc@jetpack	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1507557065188	addons.webextension.{a06dad2c-f1cd-4b62-b09a-3726598f4803}	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1507557065239	addons.webextension.{fb3b1352-9244-4fb1-b1a2-1331a89b0d9f}	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1507557065402	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Loading extension 'adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net': Reading manifest: Error processing background.persistent: Event pages are not currently supported. This will run as a persistent background page.
1507557065589	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Loading extension 'adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net': Reading manifest: Error processing author: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1507557065591	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Loading extension 'adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net': Reading manifest: Error processing options_page: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1507557065593	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Loading extension 'adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net': Reading manifest: Error processing devtools_page: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1507557065950	addons.webextension.adblockultimate@adblockultimate.net	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1507557066015	addons.webextension.{f3bd3dd2-2888-44c5-91a2-2caeb33fb898}	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
ERROR - ContextualIdentityService - Unknown version found in /home/karij/.mozilla/firefox/yov8b6bb.Default User/containers.json
console.error: PushService: 
  stateChangeProcessEnqueue: Error transitioning state
  UnknownError
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 6655
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
[Parent 6552] WARNING: pipe error (52): Connection reset by peer: file /builds/slave/m-rel-lx-000000000000000000000/build/src/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 323

###!!! [Parent][OnMaybeDequeueOne] Error: Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][OnMaybeDequeueOne] Error: Channel error: cannot send/recv

It did open but in a teeny liitle window.

You know what is funny? It might be slow and have an outdated distro but it doesn’t crash! I’ve been uploading photos and doing picture editing and it hasn’t crashed.
The Chromebook crashes every so often ( the memory warning/RAM alert box and then it has to be rebooted) despite it being an up to date laptop. It likes my digital camera ( Canon, 16 years olkd)- 2 secs after plugging in the CF reader it imports all the photos instantly! I don’t even have to tell it to do it.
I reckon it’s the outdated Mint cauaing the flash problems etc. I of course also need more RAM and a bigger SSD/hard drive.

Just got to go to Tesco to get foodstuffs for dinner. Will be back later, thanks Mark.