Folder permissions (SOLVED)

Hi guys

I’ve just put together a PC for my daughter and I’ve added 4 hard drives for her to store photos, movies etc that I intend to copy over from my NAS, the problem is I don’t seem to have permissions to write to any of the drives anything I try to put into these drives is denied

How can I change the permissions to allow full access to these drives including sub folders

The locations are
/media/laura-paul/Video

/media/laura-paul/Music

/media/laura-paul/Movies

/media/laura-paul/Photos

any help would be much appreciated

Graeme

Just to update I got around the problem by logging into each directory as root via the terminal then changing the owner to laura-paul, that seems to give me full access

Graeme

Yup that’ll give user “laura-paul” access to the folder you changed ownership of … but not necessarily any subfolders that already exist (unless you used the -R “recursive” option).

To change owner and group recursively (including subfolders)

sudo chown -R laura-paul:laura-paul /media/laura-paul/Video
sudo chown -R laura-paul:laura-paul /media/laura-paul/Music
sudo chown -R laura-paul:laura-paul /media/laura-paul/Movies
sudo chown -R laura-paul:laura-paul /media/laura-paul/Photos

This will mean everything is owned by “laura-paul”

Another option might have been to (recursively) just give EVERYONE read/write/execute permission:

sudo chmod -R 777 /media/laura-paul/Video
sudo chmod -R 777 /media/laura-paul/Music
sudo chmod -R 777 /media/laura-paul/Movies
sudo chmod -R 777 /media/laura-paul/Photos

this might be a better idea if the drives are ever going to be shared with other PC’s and they’re just storage drives.

Or there’s nothing stopping you doing both.

I changed ownership & permissions on all the drives as per your instructions and all is well, I’ll mark this solved :slight_smile:

Many thanks

Graeme