General question about the "Remove" option in Software Manager

Just a quickie guys. What’s the deal with the different methods of un-installing applications on Linux? I have a “Remove” button in my Software Manager but someone here suggested commands from the Teminal to purge, etc. I’ve seen this longer-winded method mentioned a few times online and wondered what the pros/cons are about doing it that way? I realise that software not installed by the Software Manager repositories won’t show in it (I think) and that would be a reason to do it but what about the applications that are installed that way? Is the Terminal command the best way to ensure a full removal?

Cheers.

OK, in the Synaptic package manager, you have 2 options
Mark for Removal
and
Mark for Complete Removal
(not sure about the Mint Software Manager … that possibly never uses the purge option)

they are equivalent to the commands
sudo apt-get remove
and
sudo apt-get remove --purge
respectively.

Removing without the purge option removes the application but leaves any configuration files behind … so if you reinstall it later it will already be set up the way you had it before.

using the purge option also removes the configuration files … so if you reinstall it later it will be back to default settings.

get it now ?

I believe that the normal removal also leaves the downloaded package on the system, so a reinstall doesn’t download a fresh copy - it uses the previously downloaded local copy

Thanks guys, that’s made it clear.

@ Morgan700

You’re welcome

@ chemicalfan

You’re probably correct … I’ve never checked if it leaves the downloaded package in the cache, but that explains the --reinstall option.

Personally I clear my package cache manually anyway to save room … netbook SSD and all that, so I’ve not felt the need to check :wink: