get online with email [thanks for all your help Now got Email]

Please help get online with email according to the software centre both evolution and empathy are installed and I’ve recived an mail welcome from evolution but it say’s it’s not enabled, I’m online with firefox ? and I’m using as to weather I’m using Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04

Do you know your email server login and password, and the server type (pop3, IMAP), and the email server addresses ?

DON’T post the login and password here, just let me know if you know them.

Knowing who your ISP is might help too… if you use their mail servers.

I now have login details user name pass word server type and domain name

See these:

and/or
http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_evolution.htm

If you have any problems. let me know.

I’ve tried both the sites, must be me but can’t seam to get online some times it refuses with the smtp passwd sometimes just dosen’t send them

Try installing Thunderbird 3… It’s much better than Evolution.

To install
sudo apt-get install thunderbird

Then see here:
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/email/mozilla_thunderbird3.htm
or
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-set-up-mozilla-thunderbird-3-multiple-email/
or
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-set-up-mozilla-thunderbird-3-multiple-email/

Then take your settings OUT of Evolution… but DO NOT uninstall Evolution.

BTW, if you need a different locale in Thunderbird, search in the Synaptic package manager for thunderbird-locale, it will list quite a few locales that can be installed.

It stops at core fonts by microsoft(seams to lock), won’t stall thunderbird I think I have to un-install firefox there seams to be a lot on the system It will do the same when I try to install abode ?, how do I look to see what space I have on the hard disk

Install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package through the Synaptic Package Manager… keep an eye out for a pop-up screen, where you have to accept the fonts.
(it may open behind the Synaptic window, so minimise Synaptic if necessary)

Then try installing thunderbird again… either through Synaptic, the Software Centre, or the command line.

It won’t allow me to use synaptic I get an error and tells me to run sudo dpkg --configure -a but it won accept the command it finishes with "E:_cache->opened() failed, please report. I’ve to remove evloution in the software centre and I get this:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py”, line 779, in simulate
return self._simulate_helper(trans, status_path)
File “/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py”, line 958, in _simulate_helper
return depends, status, self._cache.required_download,
File “/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/apt/cache.py”, line 218, in required_download
pm.get_archives(fetcher, self._list, self._records)
SystemError: E:I wasn’t able to locate file for the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.

Make SURE Synaptic, the Software Centre, and the Update Manager are ALL closed.

THEN open a terminal and run:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then try again.

It’s still saying there’s packages not install in fonts synaptic, go’s back to normal screen but launches error/warning box when I try to close it

Sorry, you’ll have to explain that a little better ??

Close EVERYTHING.

Open a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer thunderbird

what is the output ?

Output
gordon@gordon-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer thunderbird
[sudo] password for gordon:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
gordon@gordon-desktop:~$

You still have Synaptic, or Update Manager, or the Software Centre open… CLOSE them (not minimise), and run the command again.

You can only install software with one package manager open… or none if you are installing from the command line.

I cut and pasted the command in to the word processor re booted then brought up the terminal
gordon@gordon-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer thunderbird
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘sudo dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

run:

sudo apt-get clean

then

sudo dpkg --configure -a

then

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer thunderbird

and post the output.

I’m still getting this ?
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘sudo dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

Open synaptic.

Go to Edit>Fix Broken Packages

When it finishes, CLOSE Synaptic.

Open a terminal and enter:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

then

sudo apt-get -f install

then

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

then

sudo apt-get clean

then

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you notice ANY errors… STOP, and post what they were.

it won’t let me into synpntic first it said can’t get exclusvie lock

huh ?

Just reboot, then run the commands WITHOUT opening Synaptic

DO NOT open multiple terminals, wait for one command to finish before entering the next one.