Google drops Picasa on Linux

The bad news … Google have dropped support for Picasa on Linux :frowning:

OK, Picasa was never really Linux native, instead it came pre-bundled with WINE so there was no need to install WINE separately, but it still had a few “tweaks” that made it easier to set up.

According to the Google blog -

We launched a WINE-based version of Picasa for Linux in 2006 as a Google Labs project. As we continue to enhance Picasa, it has become difficult to maintain parity on the Linux version. So today, we’re deprecating Picasa for Linux and will not be maintaining it moving forward. Users who have downloaded and installed older versions of Picasa for Linux can continue to use them, though we won’t be making any further updates.

Users can still use the last version (if they already have it installed), or install it from their distributions software repositories, but is no longer available for download from:

OK, now the good(ish) news …

It IS possible to install the latest Windows version of Picasa 3.9 in Linux under WINE :slight_smile: … instructions here:

and how to get it to integrate with the Gnome desktop are included here:

When you consider the official Picasa for Linux was always a few versions behind the Windows version (3.0 compared to 3.9 in Windows) … this isn’t a big deal, and you’d probably be better off installing the latest version under WINE anyway.

In general Picasa should just die out already. Flickr has always been the superior image hosting site out there, and it still is. I recommend Flickr to everyone, I really couldn’t care much for Picasa. Wasn’t a major app in Linux anyway.

If this is Google’s idea of “contributing” to Linux by offering a version which isn’t even native, then they should all just go ahead and install Windows 98 on their servers.

Seriously, Google’s got the resources, they even run Android using a modified Linux kernel, yet they can’t provide a native app? Somethings wrong there.

I don’t know for sure (don’t use either), but I thought Picasa was a bit more than just a piccy hosting site ? … at the very least it integrated into the Gnome desktop.

Hmm, maybe that was the problem, maybe they thought “take away the integration and why bother” … and with all the different Linux desktops flying around at the moment, and no clear user favourite…

Software devs (if they wanted desktop integration) only really had to choose between Gnome and KDE (or do a version for both) … yes I know there were others, but the fact was that the VAST majority of users used one of those 2 … now there is no clear leader.

Ask yourself this … If you were creating a new Linux application that would benefit from tight desktop integration, but had neither the time, inclination, or money to do multiple versions, which desktop would you choose at the moment ?

Ubuntu are bleeding users to Mint … so would you choose Unity over Gnome3

Or would you go with KDE, when there’s no evidence that ex Gnome 2.x users are heading to KDE … they all seem to be either going with the above 2, or with one of the others LXDE, Xfce, etc.

It used to be that Gnome had the largest user base … then KDE … now KDE may be bigger that Gnome3 (?), but even if it is, it’s still not a clear leader.

I’m all for choice, but at what point does choice become fragmentation ?

Here’s MY opinion, and remember it’s only an opinion … Ubuntu’s Unity is becoming quite a good desktop, but it has fragmented the Gnome user base, and the Linux desktop in general … for this reason alone I won’t use Unity until and unless it becomes the clear leader that Gnome once was … I realise that may be somewhat self defeating, advocate against Unity and it won’t necessarily help Gnome, nor will it help Unity become a clear favourite … but sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand, and right or wrong stand by your convictions :o