help needed again

I installed PeppermintOS 2 and found it excellent.
I bought UBUNTU FOR NON GEEKS, it came with a disc with UBUNTU 10.04.
I installed that exclusively on my computer and worked my way through the book learning lots of useful things.
I now find I would like to go back to PeppermintOS.
Can I install the PeppermintOS 2 on my disc ? and will it wipe (hopefully) the UBUNTU distro ?

take care
Don W

When you install peppermint you should be given a number of options including a clean install of peppermint to the whole disk.

Thanks again. I thought that may be the case but I reckoned it was best to ask. ;D

take care
Don W

I use peppermint on a 10 year old laptop and it gave the computer a new lease of life, quick and clean. Let us know if any issues.

Thanks Tramlink, I will let you know

take care Don W

Hi,
I have a problem following Mark’s instructions for installing PeppermintOS 2.
In Stage 9 he says ‘When Synaptic opens, give it a second to update itself, then in the “Quick Filter” box enter lubuntu-restricted-extras’
I can’t see a “Quick Filter” box. In the bottom left corner is a “Custom Filters” button.
I am very happy with PeppermintOS and don’t want to disturb anything too much.
thanks

take care
Don W

Sorry about that, I have found it :-[ :-[

take care
Don W

Glad you like peppermint :slight_smile:

Hi Mark,
Glad your back, even fleetingly.
My next problem is ‘Software Sources’
When I go to Menu>System Tools> I get 2 menu options with System Resources.
When I choose the top one, I have to Authenticate, and I am taken to the ‘Software Sources’ screen as shown in stage 5 of the steps you showed me. The boxes on the Peppermint tab all ticked and the ‘Other Software’ tab has all the boxes ticked except the cdrom:[Peppermint etc. I click Close and it takes me back to the Desktop.
When I click on the second instance of Software Sources, I get a warning message that reads “Please run this this software with administrative rights. To do so run this program with kdesudo.” When I do that I enter the Athenticate again and this time I get some sound from the speakers but no further information from the terminal
Where have I gone wrong. Is there life on Mars. I am still enjoying the step into Linux

take care
Don W

Hmm … I have no idea why you would have 2 “Software Sources” in you menu’s, and more worryingly is that one wants kdesudo which isn’t installed by default as Peppermint doesn’t use the KDE desktop.

just edit your software sources through Synaptic instead … fire up synaptic, and go to Settings > Repositories

Hi Mark,
Would it be possible to remove those 2 instances of Software Resources ?
Or will I leave them alone and just use Synaptic Package Manager and Software Manager.
There are a few games I would like to remove. Is there an easy way to do this ?

take care
Don W

Yes you can remove things from the menu’s … but I’m not at a Peppermint PC ATM, so I’ll get back to you with instructions.

As for the games … how did you install them ?

I just opened peppermint >When I go to Menu>System Tools> I get 2 menu options with System Resources.< there are no system resources entries listed.

Can you list what is in your system tools list I have 14 entries.

Additional Drivers
Disk Utility
GKrellM System Monitor ← I added this
Language Support
Printing
Screenlock
Software Manager
Software Sources
Startup Manager
Synaptic Package Manager
Task Manager
Time & Date
Users & Groups ← may have added this too
Windows Wireless Drivetrs

Hi,
I took this screenshot

In case the other doesn’t worrk, here is a typed list

Additional Drivers
Disk Utility
Language Support
Nepomuk Backup
NVIDIA X Server Settings
Printing
Screen Lock
Software Manager
Software Sources
Software Sources
StartUp-Manager
Synaptic Package Manager
Task Manager
Time and Date
Update Manager
Users and Groups
Windows Wireless Drivers
17 items
take care
Don W

Can I ask what the problem is?

He has 2 “Software Sources” menu items … one of which prompts for kdesu rather than using gksu for achieving admin privileges.

Right-click the System Tools > Software Sources menu items, and select Properties

The Command: field should read:-

gksu --desktop /usr/share/applications/software-properties-gtk.desktop /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk

You seem to have all the entries that you should have+ the ones you added.

If you go to the peppermint home page and then to FAQ there is a run through of how to remove items from the menu.

Hi Mark,
When I right click the top version of ‘Software Sources’ and choose ‘Properties’, I get
gksu --desktop /usr/share/applications/software-properties-gtk.desktop /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk

The same procedure on the other instance gives me,
software-properties-kde.
When I click to open this one it asks me to run the the program with kdesudo

@ Tramlink I will head over to the Peppermint forums after tea and see what I can find, thanks for the help.

take care
Don W