HP Photosmart 7280 wireless connection - Solved

You are kindly helping me with my friend’s Epson wireless printer. This is a similar post for my HP Photosmart 7280 so as not to confuse.

There are /etc/sane.d/ files for several HP printers , but not the Photosmart 7280, and the SANE website indicates that the USB Photosmarts are not supported by SANE.
On [b]http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/photosmart/photosmart_c7200_series.html[/b] HP indicates full support for the 7280 in Ubuntu V11.10, though without indicating the network parameters, but does offer a download that I haven’t dared try. Your advice would be appreciated.

As far as the HP goes … have you installed the hplip-gui package:

sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

Then looked for HPLIP Toolbox in your menus ? … then selected Device>Setup Device (if you’re not immediately given the setup dialog).

You’re a genius!
It’s working perfectly. Many thanks, Mark.

No problem :slight_smile:

It would probably be best to give the printer a static IP (so the routers DHCP sever doesn’t keep changing it).

You can guess what my next question is!
How do I create a static IP address.?
I used the printer’s manual IP setup which was already loaded with the existing values.

OK, ideally 2 things need to be done.

1. change the DHCP pool (addresses that the DHCP server can hand out) in the router … lets say your routers address is 192.168.0.1 and the network is using 192.168.0.xxx … check in the routers web interface that it hasn’t got ALL the addresses available to the DHCP server (192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254) … if it has, limit this to say 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.200 … this leaves you 54 IP addresses that the DHCP server will never hand out.

2. On the printer itself, give it a static IP that is one of those 54 addresses (192.168.0.201 to 192.168.0.254)

Another (less ideal) way of doing it would be to discover (by checking the IP’s of your PC’s) if the routers DHCP serverhands out IP’s at the lower end of the range (say starting at 192.168.0.2) then give the printer an address at the top end of the range (say 192.168.0.254)

Or just give the printer an IP somewhere in the middle (say 192.168.0.127) … unless you ever connect 127 PC’s that et their IP’s via the DHCP server, that IP is unlikely to ever get assigned to a PC or other device such as an Xbox)

Another way, would be to give EVERY device on the network a static IP and turn off the routers DHCP server

The purpose of this exercise is to be SURE that (with the printer turned off) you never turn on a PC that is set to get its IP from the routers DHCP server … that then gets handed out an IP that is the same as the printers static IP … if it did, and you then turned on the printer, the IP’s would conflict and you would need to restart the PC so it gets a new IP.

If that lot doesn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll try to clear it up a bit :slight_smile:

Also BE AWARE, the IP ranges I’ve used (above) as examples may not be the ones you need to use … you’d need to (at least) provide the routers IP for me to be more specific.

The router uses DHCP in the range X.100 to X.200 so I set the both the printer and the HP-GUI-setup to 201 …
…and it works!
You’re a star!