I am new to Linux

Can someone tell me the latest version of the Linux operating system?
what are the earlier version numbers?
Is there a server and client installs?

First of all “Linux” probably isn’t what you’re thinking of as an Operating System as such, it’s just one component of a Linux Distribution… there are MANY Linux Distributions, all of which contain the Linux kernel (but may contain different versions of the kernel), the GNU tool chain, and are usually packaged together with a bunch of applications.

An explanation of the Linux kernel

An expanation of Linux distriution

A place to check for all the latest distributions

As you can see there are quite a few to choose from, and it depends on what you want it for, and personal preference as to which one is “best”.

In answer to your other question, YES there are Server editions, and Desktop editions.

Sometimes a “Distro” (distribution) will have both, and sometimes the distro itself will be tuned for a specific use.

Ubuntu do a desktop and a server edition, along with a netbook edition, as do a lot of others.
The major distros include Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE etc.

Redhat do a commercial Distro RHEL (Redhat Enterprise Linux), as well as a “free” distro… Fedora

Novell do the same, SLE (SUSE Linux Enterprise) is the commercial version, openSUSE is the free version

Commercial versions come with support, so really it’s the support you’re paying for.

Kinda confusing eh?

If you are looking for a free distro with both server and desktop editions, can I suggest you look at Ubuntu… if for no other reason than you will find online help easier to find.

As you can see it would be impossible to list all the different versions of all the different distro’s… but here they are for Ubuntu

Ubuntu versions - released every 6 months, currently at 10.04 (Lucid Lynx)… 10.04 = 2010.04 (april).
Previous release 9.10 (Karmic Koala)… 9.10 = 2009.10 (october).
other version listed here:

Another thing to keep in mind is the Ubuntu LTS suffix… LTS = Long Term Support.
Every 4th release is an LTS release, and will be fully supported with updates for
3 years for the Desktop version
and
5 years for the Server edition

non-LTS releases have 18months of updates.

If you have any other questions or need help, just come back and ask :slight_smile:

or for further info, see our main site:

Hi,

2.6.35 I think (unless 2.6.36 is out yet?)
There are many earlier version numbers.
There is only one Operating System, which is called “Linux”.

The Operating System (Linux) is available as a core component in many “Linux Distributions”. See this page for a partial list;

Each Linux distribution will have it’s own version number and will include a specific (and probably different) version of “Linux”. I believe for example Ubuntu 9.10 includes Linux version 2.6.31 and Ubuntu 10.04 includes Linux version 2.6.32.

[Companies such as “Ubuntu” do not help this confusion by calling their product an Operating System when it is in fact a “Linux Distribution”]

A number of Linux “distributions” contain different versions including desktop and server. In particular Ubuntu do three core distributions; Desktop / Server and Netbook … then for each distribution they do some other ‘flavours’ such as “KUbuntu” and “Edubuntu” …

hth