Input from keyboard fails

I am running mint13 64bit on a SAMSUNG R60plus laptop.

Sometimes the keyboard stops responding along with the touchpad, the mouse continues to work OK.

If I suspend the computer and then restore the keyboard starts responding as normal.

Any insight into this issue would be welcome.

Is this a new issue, or has it always done it ?

Have you ever run a distro that doesn’t do it … which ?

What kernel are you running ?

uname -a

Dunno if this’ll make you feel any better, but seems you’re not alone:

I’ve heard of this issue with a Toshiba laptop (affects the equivalent Ubuntu versions too), not with Samsung though.

What do you get from (straight after it happens):

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE > ~/Desktop/Xdump.txt

(if you save that in a file on your desktop & make it executable, you should be able to run it with the mouse)

This should create an error log file on the desktop, which you can post here.

Mark - hope I’ve got that syntax right! :wink:

If that was a question … looks good to me :slight_smile:

“What kernel are you running ?”

Please see below.

usertwo@usertwo-R59P-R60P-R61P ~ $ uname -a
Linux usertwo-R59P-R60P-R61P 3.2.0-58-generic #88-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 3 17:37:58 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
usertwo@usertwo-R59P-R60P-R61P ~ $

Have also placed code in file on desktop so should be able to run it next time keyboard fails.

Can not remember when it started it was OK when I first installed mint could have been after last kernel update.

Did you make that file executable? Easiest way is to right-click on it, and set it under Properties → Permissions, or you can do it in the terminal using

chmod u+x ~/Desktop/foobar

(where “foobar” is the name of the file)

Edit: That might need sudo…

Yes I used the right click method to make it executable.

Try booting an earlier kernel … if that solves the issue we can either make that kerel the default, or see if there’s a more recent kernel.

Do you know how to boot an earlier kernel ?

Yes by forcing the Grub menu at system boot.

Did it work?

Since a system update it has been working OK but just in case I am keeping the file on the desktop.