Install/Upgrade to linux latest stable kernel 3.18.1 in Ubuntu/Linux Mint

How To Install/Upgrade To Linux Kernel 3.18.1 In Ubuntu/Linux Mint or other distributions

Recently in December Linux Kernel version 3.18.1 has been released and announced by Linus Torvalds. If you are using Ubuntu 14.04/14.10 or Linux Mint or any other debian/Ubuntu based then you can update to the latest kernel 3.18.1 to fix bugs, increase performance and security of the system.

What Is Linux Kernel?

Those who don’t know what is the Linux Kernel they should know it because Linux kernel is the essential part of any Linux operating system. It is responsible for resource allocation, low-level hardware interfaces, security, simple communications, basic file system management, and more. Written from scratch by Linus Torvalds (with help from various developers), Linux is a clone of the UNIX operating system. It is geared towards POSIX and Single UNIX Specification compliances.

Install Linux Kernel 3.18.1

Because it is not available via PPA, the needed deb packages of Kernel 3.18.1 are available via kernel.ubuntu.com. Follow the instructions for your system’s architecture exactly, in order to get a successful installation. Read more How To Install/Upgrade To Linux Kernel 3.18.1 In Ubuntu/Linux Mintntu/Linux Mint

Watch the video for Installing/Upgrading to Linux latest stable kernel 3.18.1 in Ubuntu/Linux Mint or other distribution

If that’s your website, can I suggest you loose the damn annoying Facebook popup … I immediately turn away from websites with popups that I need to respond to or close (specially the popover type that interrupt your browsing).

The facebook popup is to like facebook page. If you want to like linuxandubuntu.com facebook page then you can otherwise there is a close button on that popup. If you don’t like the popup you can close it and navigate around the site. Otherwise I respect your suggestions and will improve it.

If I WANT to “like” a page after seeing the content, I will … your popup/popover is FORCING me to make a decision before I even get the chance to read the page.

And if the popup is requesting I “like” the facebook page, how am I supposed to make that decision if I’ve never visited your facebook page … surely that would belong on your facebook page, not a website that I probably haven’t arrived on via facebook.

A “like” button somewhere on the page would suffice if people want to “like” it … a popup looks like you’re desperate for “likes”, and are super annoying.
They’re also one of the most oft quoted annoyances on websites … Googling “annoying popup” returns getting on for a million hits :o

I personally hate them with a vengeance … using a 1024x600 netbook, floating popups quite often have the close button hidden under firefox’s toolbar at that resolution, so they’re impossible to close
I’m not saying yours is doing this, but what it did do is - I arrived at your site and started to scroll down the page, the popup then loaded reloading the page behind it so I had to start scrolling all over again as I’d lost my place … I immediately thought “sod this” and left…

In my experience sites that force popups on you as soon as you arrive are inevitably slow and full of adverts, flash, and other annoying popups, they are also usually slowed further by tracking and targeted adverts … I’m not saying this is wrong, just making an observation that first impressions count, and an immediate popup requesting something from you (even a facebook like) puts people off :wink:

Your site, so obviously your call … but I’m betting I’m not the only person that immediately leaves (and doesn’t recommend) websites with these damn popover/overlays.

I’d NEVER “like” a site that is overly insistent that I do so, and makes my life more awkward in that insistence … would you ?

[EDIT]

Erm, no you can’t … it pops up on EVERY page you navigate to … even the few people that don’t mind popups will tire of that pretty quickly :o

Sorry if I babbled on a bit, but popover/overlays are a pet hate of mine … and yours is particularly insistent.

Just shows that it is not your content what is discussed here. In your face adverts (or Facebook likes) do nothing to promote your site. I guess you need to earn some dosh to keep the site running, but you will have to strike a better balance between educating your visitors and the click count earnings.

It’s a pity because I really wanted to take a look around the site … but I left feeling like I was being bullied by the damn popover (and therefore by proxy the site owner).

First of all the content I’m sharing is mine. Well, secondly, it seems you looked around the page but did not notice that each post has the link back to site and also on the places where it should have been. Promoting does not mean I should be writing about the site and forget the content originally I’m talking about on site. If you want to give suggestions then you’re always welcomed but don’t waste time replying here in this way. The website is just 1 month old and so does the social pages. It takes time to develop the things because not everybody is like you, otherwise it’ll take years. Well, again thank you and I respected what you talked about popups.

You TOTALLY misunderstood SeZo there :o

He wasn’t suggesting the content wasn’t yours … more that it wasn’t the content that was being discussed here (in this topic, on a forum full of Linux advocates), which should tell you something.

I suggest you re-read his posting without the chip on your shoulder … nobody is slagging off your website content, just making suggestions about presentation / accessibility / look & feel … most web devs would pay for constructive criticism, so why are you getting all worked up ?

;D Not worrying, I already has accepted and respected his suggestions and has worked on that. :slight_smile: I Yeh I misunderstood that one sorry :stuck_out_tongue: But i replied what he was saying about promoting facebook page, otherwise any web devoloper would never loose chance to get feedback. thank you again for your precious suggestion and I’ve removed one popup because the second popup was creating problem, due to that page was not scrolling down smoothly.

Great news … I’ll hop over and take a look around then :slight_smile:

Nope, still getting the popover/overlay … and it’s not because it’s locally cached (cleared my browser cache and even tried it in another browseer) :frowning:

Yes, I removed one popup that was really creating problem. And would you please specify what exactly you’re having trouble in the website. Earlier the issue of being not able to scroll down was because of the newsletter popup that has been removed.

The facebook “like” overlay/popover (Facebook Popup Widget) that opens on EVERY single page and stops you in your tracks … this super annoying thing

http://i.imgur.com/1QDPYK7.png

Why on earth would you want something that stops/interrupts people browsing your website just to garner a few facebook “likes” … IMHO it’s MUCH more likely to turn people away than get them to “like” anything.
Surely a less intrusive overlay can give people an option to click “like” … like a floating side button, anything except that damn overlay that stops you going any further and doesn’t allow you to just ignore it.

And it’s on EVERY DAMN PAGE … I click to close it, read an article, then click on a link to go to another article and it FRIGGIN OPENS AGAIN … AAArrrgh!!! (at this point I leave the website … and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be the only one).

Annoying visitors for a few facebook “likes” seems kinda daft to me … not to mention counter productive.

If you MUST have a facebook “like” widget, choose one that’s NOT a full page overlay … there are plenty out there that won’t annoy the shite out of your visitors :wink:

There was another problem in scrolling page, is it still there or not?

:wink: The website is just some month back was created and things being tested out. Beside the Facebook there are some other things to be fixed but I can not bro. Currently my hosting services are blocked in my country, so there has been a month I am not able to access the source code of the website. I’m posting the blog only not making so many changes. I could just create the site and were testing different things but my country blocked it because of some reasons. I know If you’re facing the problem so many other are also there they could face the same problem or annoyance. I am trying to reach the source code to add/remove features, once I get there I’ll remove that annoying popup that popups every time. It can also be configured to popup once also but again I’m trying to get into the code.

I can scroll without issue.

As well as the full screen overlay (Facebook Popup Widget) as pictured above, you also need to loosed some of the social media buttons … you have 3 sets of them.

IMHO, too many popups, trackers, and widgets makes a website look decidedly “dodgy” … not to mention makes them slow to load … the fact is your target audience are also likely to be more discerning about (and sensitive to) these things, and hold you to a higher standard than the average Windows user

My main gripe still remains the initial full screen overlay (Facebook Popup Widget) as pictured above

Pop-up blockers FTW

Popup blockers don’t work with full screen overlays … as far as I’m aware you’d need to disable javascript, but that would interfere with a lot of other functionality.

That’s precisely why they’re becoming more insidious and common, and the reason I hate the damn things and web sites/devs that use them (so refuse to use their sites).

Sorry about that but soon it will be fixed as soon as I’ve access to the html of the website. I mentioned above about web hosting block that will not allow me to access the site html until it’s unblocked. I am posting the blog posts but not making html changes. I’m trying to access and soon (may be tomorrow) I’ll access the html and remove/add several things that i’ve not been able to do for about a month.

And not any blocker will block that facebook popup because that one is embed into the site code (not the window popup).

What the hell? What kind of functionality is that? Can’t think of a legitimate use for it!
Why do web browsers even build this kind of rubbish in?

Yep, as I suspected disabling javascript kills ALL the overlays … but it takes a lot of other stuff with it (including the slideshow).

But you wouldn’t want to disable javascript on a permanent basis as it’s used for a LOT of legitimate stuff too (such as the editing tools in this forum).

Hmm … wonder if there’s a firefox plugin that disables javascript on a site by site basis ?
(but even if there is, there’s no reason I should have to use it … in fact I’d just stick with my policy of not using websites that force me to take such drastic action all for a few facebook “likes” that I wouldn’t give them anyway on the strength of being bullied into it).

Seriously … this kind of thing gives a bad impression of a site as soon as you arrive, which has to be counter productive.

Don’t leave your policy neither I’m saying to you to leave your policy. You did not like the thing you informed me and I answered you. I’ve listened it and also blocked the one popup that I could. Mentioned above that till tomorrow the facebook popup will be stopped popping up because it’s creating other problems, such as, loading site lately. And the second you said You did not like it and the reasons you gave were true enough and still if you can see many things like, top subscription box is not there because it was being tested. It will take time to set everything properly. Users like you either here or on site would give feedback to help the site devs. Now I’ll quote If you can’t see that post right up there saying “popup will be blocked because it’s creating some other problems”. Read all the replies again if you have not.

And yes disabling the java script from the browser will disable various features used in websites or online applications. So many stuff online depend on java if you disable them then several problems will be there.