Installation problem

Hi,
As i was installing pepermint on hard disk then i got a problem during installation,when clicking on install it gave an error saying"no root file system is defined" im also giving a screen shot.

OK, looks like you already have the maximum 4 primary partitions defined on the hard drive … so the installer is unable to create another.

What exactly are you trying to do ? … dual boot ? … or wipe Windows and install ?

[EDIT]

Can you please try to avoid posting images as attachments, in fact try to avoid attachments unless they are requested … if you need/want to post a screenshot, upload it to somewhere like:
http://imgur.com
and post a link here :slight_smile:

I dont exactly know what a dual boot is.
And i was installing OS in another drive or in other words i dont want to wipe windows just adding another OS.
There is something i wanna ask that in the installation menu there was an option to install with xp and dual boot but i didnt know where would it install the pepermint i thought it might install this in the same drive with xp and might mess up the files,so clicked on something else.
please tell me the right option.

Sorry if that bothered you, no more images unless requested.

You’ll need to shrink, your Windows partition in order to make space for Linux, but with 4 primary partitions, your disc is effectively full :frowning:

Within Windows, if you go into My Computer, what are the drives listed? Need drive letters, labels, and sizes

Edit: Those don’t look lilke primary partitions, due to the missing sda2/3/4.
In which case, you need to shrink your Windows partition (backup your stuff!), then create a new primary partition for Linux, with 2 extended partitions (one for /, one for swap). Do you know how to shrink your Windows partition?

Boot to the Peppermint LiveCD and post the output from:

fdisk -l

You say you want to install to another disk, but the above screenshot only shows one hard drive ??

@Mark

You say you want to install to another disk, but the above screenshot only shows one hard drive ??

I would say that he meant partition. I Windows world that would be another drive. :wink:

@Pendragon

I dont exactly know what a dual boot is. And i was installing OS in another drive or in other words i dont want to wipe windows just adding another OS.

As previously stated, the 40gb HDD will be pushing it for the dual boot. Before you install the new OS try to understand the existing one. See how much space you can spare for Linux.

Ok,

Within Windows, if you go into My Computer, what are the drives listed? Need drive letters, labels, and sizes

I have four partitions named C drive,D drive,E drive and ,F drive(i dont know much about primary drive extended drive or else but windows is installed in c drive)

Sorry i should be more specific, i was saying about partition.
The command you asked isn’t showing anything, its repeating itself and the result is:

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ fdisk -l
peppermint@peppermint ~ $

instead when i only used fdisk it gave the following results:

peppermint@peppermint ~ $ fdisk
Usage:
fdisk [options] change partition table
fdisk [options] -l list partition table(s)
fdisk -s give partition size(s) in blocks

Options:
-b sector size (512, 1024, 2048 or 4096)
-c[=] compatible mode: ‘dos’ or ‘nondos’ (default)
-h print this help text
-u[=] display units: ‘cylinders’ or ‘sectors’ (default)
-v print program version
-C specify the number of cylinders
-H specify the number of heads
-S specify the number of sectors per track

now i dont know what should i check for fdisk -b or fdisk -c or what.

As previously stated, the 40gb HDD will be pushing it for the dual boot. Before you install the new OS try to understand the existing one. See how much space you can spare for Linux.

I have an empty partition in E drive with 10gb size i was trying to install it in there.(now i dont know whats the problem)

Hi Pendragon

I dont exactly know what a dual boot is.

Dual boot is where you have 2 or more operating systems installed on your PC so when you boot up you would be offered a choice of what operating system you want to boot into,

Judging from your screenshot you seem to have 4 Windows partitions so that drive has reached it limit (you can’t have any more than 4 primary partitions on one hard drive) so if you want to install Linux alongside Windows we’ll need to figure out what these partitions are and remove at least one, but with only 40GB it’s gonna be a bit tight for a dual boot

The command you asked isn't showing anything, its repeating itself and the result is:

Try

sudo fdisk -l

In Windows can you tell us what the contents of drives D,E.& F ?

Graeme

Or, if you know that E drive is 10Gb, and empty, post us a screenshot of the installer like before, but without the error dialog box

(Sorry for late reply i was a bit buisy)
Allright sudo has worked, the results are:
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 41.2 GB, 41174138880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5005 cylinders, total 80418240 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbdbd2a44

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 20482874 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 20482875 80389259 29953192+ f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda5 20482938 40965749 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6 40965813 61448624 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda7 61448688 80389259 9470286 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

and what did you mean by content of the drives D,E and F there are several items like softs,some games,games save files,studying notes etc(is this what you wanted).

Or, if you know that E drive is 10Gb, and empty, post us a screenshot of the installer like before, but without the error dialog box

Im posting the link to the screenshot http://imgur.com/yJGOMij

(i’ve also tried to find any promo,tutorial or pictures guides for installing peppermint on hard drive but only got results for other ways of installation)

Yep, so you’ve only got the 1 primary partition, and 3 extended. Worryingly, your “drive E” could be either sda5 or sda6. In the live Peppermint session you’ll have to open them up to confirm which is which - but don’t reboot because there is a risk it could change.

Once you know which one the blank one is, let us know and we’ll show you what to do. You’ll have to shrink it to ~8Gb, change it from NTFS to ext4, mount it as / (if it’s not already done automatically), then create a new extended partition in the newly created space (between what-was-E and F), and set it to swap. It’s complicated, but we’ll help you out :slight_smile:

and what did you mean by content of the drives D,E and F there are several items like softs,some games,games save files,studying notes etc(is this what you wanted).

Yes that’s what I meant, because if you want to install Peppermint alongside Windows you’re gonna have to empty at least one of these partitions so you can delete it to make space for the Peppermint partition, so you’ll need to backup what you want to keep before you go any further

Im posting a screenshot but Mark might mind it(sorry for this mark but i've been asked).

regarding screenshots you don’t have to add them as attachments you can post them here http://imgur.com then just paste the link

Good luck

Graeme

Before I respond to this posting, plelase confirm you’ve read the edit in the second posting in this topic:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12168.msg98757#msg98757

You’ve continued to post screenshots as attachments … I’m not going to approve them, so nobody other than you and I can see them.

Post the screenshots to somewhere like
http://imgur.com
then link to them.

In fact after your next response I’m going to delete the attachments.

Yep, so you've only got the 1 primary partition, and 3 extended. Worryingly, your "drive E" could be either sda5 or sda6. In the live Peppermint session you'll have to open them up to confirm which is which - but don't reboot because there is a risk it could change.

Once you know which one the blank one is, let us know and we’ll show you what to do. You’ll have to shrink it to ~8Gb, change it from NTFS to ext4, mount it as / (if it’s not already done automatically), then create a new extended partition in the newly created space (between what-was-E and F), and set it to swap. It’s complicated, but we’ll help you out

Well by seeing the size of sda6 i can say it is the E drive where i want to install it as it has the most minimum space used so means it almost empty as some space is used by system files or windows OS.And there is nothing to worry about any contents as it is empty and i can format it with pleasure.
So now please explain me what to do step by step.(sorry for the inconvenience Mark)

FAO Mark - imgur is blocked at work, and I pretty much only post from work (naughty!). So not only can I not post links from those sites, but I can’t view them either :frowning: Is the server really that tight for space? Can admin not archive/delete after a month or so? I know that doesn’t help Google and future searches… guess I’m in the minority :frowning:

OP - Ok, so boot into Peppermint with the liveCD, then start the installer. When you get to the page about Installation Type, click “Something Else”, and it should show this screen:

If you highlight sda6, there should be an “edit” button appear below the main box - click this. This is where you determine the partition size (it should already match what you posted from fdisk earlier). Do not change the start position, but do change the size or end position (can’t remember which it is) to be 8Gb (8388608 bytes), and also change the “filesystem” to ext4, and the “mount point” to /.

Actually, I’m not comfortable trying to describe this without having it in front of me, or access to screenshots. Any errors here could wreck your Windows install and/or your data, in an unrecoverable way.

If it’s ABSOLUTELY necessary, post as attachments but keep them as small as possible.

I’m not saying “don’t” use the attachment feature (otherwise I’d just disable it), I’m just saying “if there’s another option that doesn’t require MP to host your images/files, please use it:wink:

Thanks, it was going very well, but how should i configure the swap area i mean like same as did for the 8gb space, what should i set it for begenning or end and what should be the type of it primary or logical.(And also you didn’t tell me about the main 8gb disk type it should be primary,right?)

It would helpful if you’d boot to the LiveCD/LiveUSB and post the output from:

sudo fdisk -l

and

sudo df -h

and

sfdisk -lu M

@Mark

He already posted that output on an earlier post

Disk /dev/sda: 41.2 GB, 41174138880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5005 cylinders, total 80418240 sectors

Code: [Select]

sudo fdisk -lUnits = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbdbd2a44

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63    20482874    10241406    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2        20482875    80389259    29953192+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5        20482938    40965749    10241406    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6        40965813    61448624    10241406    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda7        61448688    80389259     9470286    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

I know he did, but I’m assuming that has changed if he’s made room for Peppermint … and I’ve also added a couple of commands above :wink:

There’s little point in telling him to install until we first make sure he’s got enough room, and WHERE to install it.