Installation problem

Sorry to say guys but its installed(before reading posts), by the way i selected “logical” and “start” for swap portion.
But there is one problem now it ain’t asking me for dual boot and directly loading xp and also in xp i cant find the E drive where i’ve installed the peppermint(do i have to enable some option or what)

XP will NOT be able to see the Linux partition without installing third party software … Windows will only read FAT(32) and NTFS file systems.
(Linux on the other hand WILL be able to see the Windows partition)

You obviosly installed the bootloader to the wrong place, or didn’t install it at all.

Boot to the LiveCD/LiveUSB and POST THE OUTPUT FROM:

sudo fdisk -l

Ok,here are the results from sudo -l:
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 41.2 GB, 41174138880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5005 cylinders, total 80418240 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbdbd2a44

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 63 20482874 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 20482936 80389259 29953162 f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda5 20482938 40965749 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6 61448688 80389259 9470286 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda7 45821952 61448191 7813120 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 40966144 45817855 2425856 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

These are from sudo -df -h:
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ sudo df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/cow 374M 27M 348M 8% /
udev 361M 4.0K 361M 1% /dev
tmpfs 75M 988K 74M 2% /run
/dev/sr0 587M 587M 0 100% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 553M 553M 0 100% /rofs
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 374M 4.0K 374M 1% /tmp
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 374M 14M 361M 4% /run/shm
none 100M 8.0K 100M 1% /run/user

And for “sfdisk -lu M” is ain’t working(by the way shouldn’t boot loader be installed automatically)

In my opinion (and in light of the “why is this taking so long” comment you posted last night, but have wisely removed) you’re rushing into this with your eyes wide shut, are selectively cherry picking advice then forging ahead before you understand the implications, and are trying to “hurry” the people that are trying to assist you to the point where they cannot assure the integrity of your Windows installation … see the warning at the bottom of this posting.

Your impatience along with talk of “ethical hacking” (at your skill level) is seriously worrying me here, and making me question your motives…

Feel free to continue below if you choose … it’s your PC … but don’t blame us if it all goes horribly wrong, and don’t ask for any advice about penetration testing here.

The bootloader would have been installed automatically if you’d chosen anything other than “Something Else”, by choosing that option you’re effectively saying to the installer “don’t do anything automatically, I’ll tell you where to put everything” … You then either chose to install the bootloader to the wrong place or didn’t choose to install it at all (the installer isn’t to blame here, your chosen options are).

To manually install the GRUB bootloader boot to the LiveCD and run these commands in sequence one after the other (being VERY careful to get the syntax correct … if in doubt, copy and paste the commands from this page one at a time into the terminal and run them, waiting for the first command to finish before entering the next):

sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt

then:

for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

then:

sudo chroot /mnt

then:

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

then:

update-grub

The exit the chroot environment by hitting Ctrl+D

Now reboot to the hard drive.

BE AWARE
though … at no point have you said how much room you’ve set aside for the Linux partitions … in fact you’ve been warned multiple times that a 40GB HDD is not big enough for Windows AND Linux (particularly where it was originally partitioned into 4, and now 5) … if your Linux partition turns out to be too small there’s a risk you’ll end up not being able to boot at all … you have been warned

;D you got me,well that i removed because i though it wont make any sense as until i get to know the phenomena it wont get better,instead when i read about that boot loader then i though it would be better to ask about boot loader.
And please dont take me wrong how can you guess my motives are wrong learning is just learning.And if you are worrying about any script kiddie activity then please stop thinking like that if my motives(i didn’t get “at your skill level”) were wrong then i shouldn’t be here instead i would have surely be learning any pen testing and sorry for i said that why is it taking long as i was getting a bit irritable, i though it would take long even to learn Linux and here im just learning to install.

About that space warning you posted then i’ve given (as chemicalfan said)8gb to OS and a bit more then 2gb to swap would that do enough.

And the way you mentioned below then isn’t there any other way to install it may be reconfigure or reinstall the OS.

Thanks and sorry again.

You have 3 options here

a) follow the instructions above to manually install the GRUB bootloader
(8GB will be enough to run peppermint, but isn’t going to leave you much room for adding stuff)

b) use GParted from the LiveCD to delete the sda7 and sda8 partitions leaving unpartitioned space where they existed) … then run the Peppermint installer and it should offer to install in the free space alongside Windows)

c) extracting the first 512 bytes of the Linux partitions boot sector, saving it to the XP partition and adding it to the XP boot.ini file.
(I’m not covering this one … it’s more a Windows topic)

At where you are now, I’d probably go with option (a)

OK, I’ll not be discussing penetration testing … despite your assurances, I don’t know you from Adam, and wouldn’t discuss it publicly anyway.

What I meant by “skill level”, was - you don’t yet have ANY Linux skills, but you’re pushing like heck for penetration testing/hacking info (an advanced topic) … put yourself in my place, that smacks of impatient teenage script kiddie who’s not interested in Linux or researching how things work so they can harden their own network, but just wants quick and easy access to other peoples networks handed to them on a plate … does it not ?

The proper way to go about this would be to become proficient in Linux FIRST … then, and only then, to research network security … otherwise you’re not trying to “understand”, you’re just trying to “do” … which is worrying.

I can’t for the life of me think of any circumstances where someone would say “I need to learn how to penetrate a network, and I need to know it NOW” that would be “ethical” … if it was a question of network security, surely they’d ask “is there a way to harden my network”.