Installation problems

I have a spare computer to play with and thought I would try installing Linux. Downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 and created a USB disc. When I try to install on boot up, it appears to start the process with lots of whirring and flashing lights etc. but then all I get is a white screen. This computer has lost the audio and video drivers, it is a few years old and I can’t find them on the Packard Bell site. Could this be the reason I just get a white screen? Windows XP works OK but it keeps finding new hardware because of the missing drivers. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi novice, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Sounds like a graphics driver issue …

First can you try this … when you boot to the hard drive and you get to the login screen (where you’d normally enter your password)… click the little “cog” icon by where you enter your password, and select “Unity 2D”, then enter your password and hit enter.

Does it boot now ?

if not …

Does the LiveCD boot to a working desktop if you select “Try Ubuntu” rather than “Install Ubuntu” ?

If so can you boot to the LiveCD, select “Try Ubuntu”, then when you get to the desktop, hit Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal, then in the terminal enter:

sudo lshw -C display

hit enter … give the command time to complete and leave you back at a $ prompt … then post back here what is returned in the terminal.

(Be aware … Linux commands ARE case sensitive, so that’s a capital C)

Can you supply the Packard Bell model number, and tell us if it’s a desktop or laptop … so we can search for known graphics issues.