Is the blue GRUB Menu confusing for Windows users

Hi guys

A while ago (with Marks help) I installed Peppermint 5 to my daughters netbook alongside Windows using Easybcd for the main bootloader which works perfectly
but yesterday she told me her netbook went into meltdown, so here’s kinda how the conversation went

Angie : Dad my netbook’s went into meltdown
Me: What happened ?
Angie: I tried to boot into Windows and it started downloading 75 updates so I left it running but forgot to plug in the power supply so it died during the update and now it wont boot
Me: Will it boot into Linux ?
Angie: No it’s bluescreening
Me What do you mean “bluescreening” ?
Angie: When I select Peppermint it comes up with a blue screen with writing on it
Me: That’s your GRUB menu just select Peppermint and it will boot into Linux
Angie: Oh !

I give up ::slight_smile:

Graeme

Windows updates, such a joy

Yeah the choice of blue background as the Debian default GRUB menu was probably not the cleverest idea in the world … that said the GRUB menu is pretty clear and concise and blue should grab a Windows users attention :slight_smile:

You can change the background/writing to a different colour, or even have a background image instead if you like :wink:

An image? Is the GRUB menu not limited to terminal output (i.e. ASCII)?

Drop a 1024x768 (or whatever resolution you’re displaying GRUB at) .tga image into your
/boot/grub
directory … then run:

sudo update-grub

you should see sommat like

Generating grub configuration file ... Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported. [b]Found background image: peppermint-grub.tga[/b] Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-46-generic Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-46-generic Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin done

In the above example I have a 1024x600 (netbook screen size) TGA image at
/boot/grub/peppermint-grub.tga

Be aware grub can be a bit finicky about background images, so you may have to try a few images (as TGA files) before you find one that works … if it doesn’t work, GRUB will just ignore it and display normally.
(it’s supposed to be able to handle JPG PNG and TGA … but my system definitely prefers TGA)

Also probably best to use a fairly dark background image … at least if you’re using light coloured text in GRUB :wink:

Or check here:

Or if you’d just like to change the GRUB menu’s blue box (in Peppermint) to say red…

Run:

sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme

look for the section:-

# Set the traditional Debian blue theme.
			echo "${1}set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue"
			echo "${1}set menu_color_highlight=white/blue"

and change it to:-

# Set my custom Peppermint theme.
			echo "${1}set menu_color_normal=white/red"
			echo "${1}set menu_color_highlight=red/light-gray"

SAVE the file, and run:

sudo update-grub

or have a play with your own colours :wink:

Well I might change the background for her if for no other reason than aesthetics, now that she’s aware it’s not a problem, the post was mainly tongue in cheek because i found it quite amusing, but it does show how perceptions are formed from years of using Windows computers that anything with a blue background has got to be a bad thing and not worth reading because you’ll never understand what it says anyway :slight_smile:

Graeme

Sometimes we’re just too nerdy around here and can’t resist posting solutions, even to non-existent problems … goes with the territory I’m afraid :slight_smile: