Just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10

I did it again, the latest version comes out and I upgraded.

Now I am faced with Unity which seems so geared up to simple use that I cannot find how to open a terminal (had to login via ctrl+Alt+F1) as I needed to install Apache2 PHP5 and MySQL. Also managed to install Gnome via apt-get but have been given the latest Gnome which seems to lack the preference menu. So am now trying to find ways to get my 3D graphics card running. Cannot change the height of the task bars. I just wish that I had left things as they were.

I am sure that the developers mean well but things are so much retrograded. Maybe the best option will be to reload 11.04.

Just wish that I had followed the old advise, “if it’s not broke don’t fix it.”
:cry:

Just noticed that I had loaded up Gnome Classic so tried just ‘Gnome’ and it now shows the new Gnome look. Think that I will stay with this build for a couple of weeks and hope to find ways to get around. It just doesn’t seem all that intuitive. There are some nice additions to 11.10 so maybe it is worth sticking with. My advise to anyone upgrading is try out a Live version first. :-\

I’ve been considering upgrading to 11.04 but haven’t bothered for the same reasons,
I think because of their self imposed six month dead line they ended up rushing the project to get it out on time and as a result it isn’t as polished as it could / should be.
I’ll probably wait till support for Maverick runs out, by that time they might have ironed out the problems.

Well It’ll be 6 months before the next LTS is released, which by then I’m pretty sure the support for Maverick runs out. But I wish I had stayed with Maverick, but I’m just a sucker for new things. Saying that, I don’t have any intention on upgrading to Oneiric Ocelot. I heard a lot of negative stuff about it, more negative than positive really, so I’ll stick with Natty for the time being.

Change is a funny thing … we hate it, then after a while we’re glad it happened … every release cycle most people (me included) bitch about all the differences and hate the new version … 3 months later there’s a 50/50 split … by the next release everyone is saying “I wish they’d left the previous release alone”.

It’s human nature to dislike change, particularly large changes like XP → Vista, KDE 3.x → KDE 4 or Maverick → Natty.

Truth is - XP, KDE 3.x and GNOME 2.x had reached the end of their life … the code was becoming unmanageable, new patches were breaking old ones … there was a need for a new code base.

Enter Vista, KDE 4, and GNOME 3.

All of which saw major changes to the interface … and YES, all of which have/had issues … but after a while they tend to settle down and people grow to like them … Very few Win 7 users would go back to XP (though most Vista users would have).

Unity and GNOME 3 DO have interface issues … ie. I think it stupid that you can’t create a desktop launcher from the right-click menu, but I have noi doubt if enough people want it, it will be included at some stage.

There are also broken packages, such as nautilus-gksu which again will no doubt get fixed.

At least in Ubuntu you get the option of a few interfaces, and from what I’ve read there’s nothing stopping you from installing GNOME 2.x, but GNOME 3 will mature faster if people use it and report bugs, or just have a moan about missing features.

I’d be pretty sure most people bitched about GNOME 2 when it was first released …

I’m no lover of 11.10’s version of Unity and am now using the GNOME 3 shell … but I’ve realised that some of the issues I had with it (lack of desktop launcher support) are probably more to do with the underlying GNOME 3 than Unity itself … GNOME 3 doesn’t have it either.

I must also add that I quite like the GNOME 3 interface (missing features aside), it’s certainly less “buggy” than 11.10’s Unity … and I’m sure the features will either be added by the GNOME devs or by third party devs as they were in GNOME 2.

I admit the Ubuntu 6 monthly release cycle can throw up some versions that seem “unfinished”, and I’m starting to see the benefits of “rolling release” distro’s like Debian … but it can also allow for faster development … and I suppose if you don’t particularly like the development cycle there are always the LTS versions which at the very least tend to be more of a known quantity … at least we get the choice, that couldn’t have been said for most Vista users :wink:

I’ll give it a chance to mature … GNOME 3 is growing on me already :wink: … though I’m finding 11.10’s version of Unity far to buggy at the moment (nautilus crashes left right and centre, particularly when launched as root)… but if it hadn’t been, I’d probably never have tried GNOME 3 :slight_smile:

Choice … It’s all about the choice … and Linux gives you that by the lorry load :slight_smile:

There’s always Windows … but then again everyone will probably hate Win8, at least for a while, and you’ll have to pay for that privilege :o

I agree about the changes but…, I have given up on the standard Ubuntu and installed the latest Mint version. I have a laptop with Ubuntu 11.04 which I shall not upgrade.

Sorry to say it, but IMHO, you’re just delaying the inevitable…

The thing is, even Mint will at some point either have to ditch GNOME altogether, or move to GNOME 3 … they may hang out for as long as they can, but I’m guessing it will be sooner rather than later … specially when you consider their main editions are based on Ubuntu which from 11.10 is based on GNOME 3 … it’s going to get more and more difficult for the Mint team to stick with Ubuntu upstream and the GNOME 2.x DE, as their repositories are going to start to diverge.

I suspect Mint 12 may come as a bit of a shock to some people :slight_smile: … and if not, 13 or 14 will … IMHO, Mint are just hanging onto GNOME 2.x long enough for people to get used to GNOME 3/Unity in Ubuntu, with the added benefit of some people switching to them in the vain hope that they’ll be able to stick with GNOME 2.x

[EDIT]

Heh … Vindication … a sweet feeling:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9722.0
:wink:

[END EDIT]

In the end, Mints options will be -

a) Switch to a different desktop environment.

b) A LOT more work maintaining old Gnome 2.x packages that are no longer maintained by Ubuntu, and making sure they work on a Mint version that is based on a newer version of Ubuntu … ATM, I’m pretty sure the Mint team aren’t big enough to allow for a repository divergence such as this.

c) Take on the job of GNOME 2.x development (ie. fork it) … not a chance in hell :slight_smile:

d) Switch base distribution … which I thinks is a little more realistic … and could explain their recent work on a Debian based “rolling” edition … the problem with this is that even Debian are going to be faced with an inevitable choice between switching DE or using GNOME 3 sooner or later

e) Switch to GNOME 3/Unity … by far their easiest option, and still allows them to used the upstream Ubuntu repos and benefit from Ubuntus spit and polish.

IMHO, only (a) and (e) are real choices for Linux Mint unless their development team grows exponentially … so unless you like KDE4, LXDE, Xfce, etc. … well you get the message.

Let’s face it … like it or not GNOME 2.x is now a dead end, and so is any distribution that sticks with it … unless Gnome 2.x is forked it will receive no new development … even if it is forked, it’s unlikely to be included in any main stream distro’s … KDE3.5 was forked when KDE4 arrived, but no mainstream distro still uses it.

The good news is (as I’ve stated before) GNOME 3 WILL get better as more and more third party developers build add-ons that fill in the gaps in the basic desktop … the same thing happened with GNOME 2.x … I’m willing to give it time to mature :slight_smile:

So really, a move to Mint is just postponing the inevitable … and in my opinion your time may be better spent getting used to GNOME 3 or Unity now, or switching to a different desktop environment and getting used to that.