Legacy programs.

Hi folks, a complete newcomer here so please be kind.
I have just had a seamless instal of Pepermint - erasing a W10 installation in the process and glad to see it go!

I had hoped to instal some older packages on my new operating system but must be missing something in my reading of instructions.
The main package I would like to install is an AurocadLt for Windows from about 1995.
I have been using this prog since about 95 and don’t want to have to learn a new draughting program.
Another program I have to instal is a CNC control called Mach3.

Any advice?

Alan.

Yep, reinstall Windows.

Sorry to sound abrupt, but you do realise Linux doesn’t run Windows applications natively right?

Sometimes it’s possible to run them in WINE (think of it as an emulator, even though it isn’t) … but according to the WINE application database, neither of those apps work well in WINE.

and

(though it AutoCAD LT is the 1998 version it may work)

Your options would be

a) Try them in WINE … not easy, and unlikely to work

b) Dual boot Linux/Windows

c) Install and run Windows in a virtual machine in Linux … if this PC is meant to actually interface with some CNC machinery, this may be a problem … if on the other hand it’s simply about generating Gcode for export it should be fine.

Thanks Mark,
You are correct that I stupidly thought that I would be able to just load all my existing programs!
Even Apple allows " Windows" programs via an emulator.
Ah well now I know why Linux cannot penetrate the PC market.

Now I have to find an old 32 bit Windows version so I can use all my favourite and useful programs and leave Linux to the techies!

Thanks again.

Not really … they have a compatibility layer similar to WINE (In fact it’s based on WINE), and can run Windows in a VM (as can be done in Linux) but it’s no easier or more reliable in OS X than Linux.

The long and the short of it is if you NEED to run Windows apps … Windows is always going to be your best bet.

If on the other hand you’re security conscious, and willing to switch software … Linux is the way forward.

Thanks again Mark,
I have ordered a copy of w7 which will allow use of my “old” programs.
Security is not really an issue since the machine concerned is a working machine and not connected to the Internet.
Ability to use Autocad and Mach 3 is all it needs to do.
I will continue to explore Pepermint on another machine.
Warm regards,

Alan.

You did research that your critical applications will work under Linux before you wiped Windows didn’t you?
There are some equivalences to your programs:
AutoCAD Lt → DraftSight DraftSight® 2D CAD Drafting and 3D Design Software
Mach3 → LinuxCNC http://www.linuxcnc.org/

No worries Kaimhill, sorry you had to find out the hard way that Linux isn’t a drop in replacement for running Windows software any more than Windows is for running Linux or OS X software.

Hi SeZo, I did search on the forums for any reference to Acad or Mach and found none.
The Windows 10 was going anyway since it doesn’t work for these programs.
Since I had no operating system on that machine, I thought I might as well experiment.
I couldn’t find a definitive answer to my question until I joined this forum.
Changing the programs is not an option no matter how good or how cheap - too much time, etc invested in existing programs.
Thanks for your input.