Linux distributions

wow good advice about doing online transaction with live CD i had this dread of malwares with online transactions but your advice really make sense thanks.

Well cant say anything about usb stick as not installed yet and so not tested but im on it and also thinking of increasing the RAM then we will see about that.

And the results what command brought are:

~ $ inxi -F
System: Host: peppermint Kernel: 3.13.0-29-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Five
Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex GX270
Mobo: Dell model: 0U1325 version: A00 Bios: Dell version: A07 date: 06/26/2006
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (pae sse sse2) clocked at 2793.047 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV350 [Radeon 9550/9600/X1050 Series]
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@75.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV350 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio: Card: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC’97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-29-generic
Network: Card: Intel 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex
Drives: HDD Total Size: 41.2GB (-) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC35L040AVVN07 size: 41.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 374M used: 22M (6%) fs: overlayfs
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 121 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 252.6/747.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

OK, your GX270 is not as old as I thought.
It appears that you can stuff it with ram to a max 4GB and it should be capable to boot to USB pen drives (press F12 to select at POST).
Your 40GB HDD is a bit on the small side if you want to run (install) more than one distro.
If you want to keep your windows install then you could stick in a second drive for Linux as it will be too small for dual booting.
I would suggest to stick with lightweight (LXDE or XFCE based) distros. As you are getting familiar with Peppermint, then you could stick with that.
You can research which penetration testing tools you need and post back. As Mark pointed out, you can install all or most of those in any distro of your choice.

I knew it it isn’t that old,i also thought to tell you that full specification myself but then the results of command showed all and i put it here.In a while i will increase RAM above 1 GB(would that amount be fine) .But sadly have to carry on with 40GB hard yet.

And Yes im also thinking and about to install Pepermint on hard disk now this is one part of story completed. :slight_smile:

There is another thing that i want to know that you guys talk about enviroments (e.g LXDE,XFCE,LMDE etc) and also (e.g Pepermint is based on Ubuntu,Kali is based on Debian,other like Knoppix,Gentoo,Pentoo etc)whats the difference between Debian ,Ubuntu,Knoppix,and others.

Im new to Linux and don’t know about these much so please put some light on these what are the differences,what impacts these put on the distro based on them and that a soft used by one distro can be used by other or not.

Debian/Red Hat/Arch/Gentoo are different Linux “companies”. As Mark described before, they all have the Linux kernel & basics like GNU toolchain and the shell, but from there it’s how the other components are put together. In the case of Debian (and Ubuntu) & Red Hat, they all patch the basic “upstream” software to either increase functionality, or to simply get it playing nicely with the way they have set up the distro. Arch & Gentoo don’t do this, what you get (apart from the aforementioned core parts) is direct from the actual developer (e.g. Firefox directly from Mozilla). This can lead to stability issues when you combine certain components in certain ways (they are build-it-yourself distros). Anyway, this is running before you can walk (or even crawl)…

The environments provide the most obvious difference between the distros, and in fact, until you start doing a bit of digging, it’s sometimes hard to determine the differences where they use the same enviroment (Kubuntu & Mageia, for example - both KDE, or Fedora & Ubuntu GNOME). Although Peppermint is customised, you won’t notice massive differences with Lubuntu, it should still “feel” roughly the same