Linux few questions before i swap

hi i have been looking at linux for along time and i love it, it looks amazing uburnu etc i just got a few questions before i instal it on my machiene,

right my system has crossfire II , pheonomII x3 etc,… its Oc big for gaming,
now,
i play games, 4story,WoW and Diablo II along with facebook, this is about all we do besides selling on ebay and my website,
am i going to have any issue with these games? they are www.battle.net games mainly if any one not sure,

i also know that linux has its own protection, but how secure is it, i use avast,and my gfx card firewall,

and my motherboard instalation disk has a number of progams,
cool n quiet, tweaking tools and turbo tools paintshop pro and graphics drivers…

are my pc drivers ok to instal stil?

also when downloading progams and games etc, some say windows or mac, how do i go about with a linux without using vmware?
how does wine work trying to keep it simple as i can for my girlfriend who doesnt know enough to pick up on it fast,.

please if you can help do i would really appreciate it as im having trouble and hate windows ive never got along with it, tryed customisiung it, linux is the only thing that matches me

so in a summary

1.my drivers for my pc and other paintshop pro and turbo OC tools
2.my anti virus and firewall
3.other progams that work with wine(may be answered on q1 dont know)
4.will my games have any issues?
5.downloads

if any additional info is needed, please feel free to email me [email protected] but subject set to linux ,(so that it doesnt mix with my spam or work invoices)

thanx so much and best regards to the team here
amazing job keep it up :slight_smile:

Hi, Phenom II X3 , no problem. This site is running on an X4 as is my workstation.

Generally Windows games are going to run the best on Windows, but you may find some of them run under “wine”, although they will run slower. I think the general recommendation (games are mentioned on few threads here) is for games, either use a dedicated console, or make your machine dual-bootable and revert to Windows when you want to play a game.

Firewall … security compared to windows … difficult to make a comparison … maybe steel pot .vs. sieve ?

Your motherboard installation programs won’t work, however most of what you want will either be in the BIOS or directly accessible under Linux.
(I doubt you’re going to miss this …)

Graphics and sound drivers should be built into Linux, so you can forget all the rubbish they supplied on your mother board install CD … the only real question is how good the Linux accelerated drivers are for your specific graphics card. (do you have a specific model number for your card(s) ?

Multiple cards are supported (this is Crossfire, yes?) and indeed multi-head cards … I use an NVidia Quadro with 4 screens @ 1920x1080 … :slight_smile:

Personally I really don’t like WINE and IMHO it’s as flakey as hell, although I know some people do swear by it. On the other hand both VMWARE and KVM work perfectly for general Windows desktop stuff.

1. Drivers… pretty much all the hardware you are likely to have will run in Linux including ATI Crossfire, see here:
    ATI Radeon CrossFire On Linux - Phoronix
    but the easiest way to check would be to test drive the Linux distribution you are considering from a LiveCD first… Paintshop pro - doesn’t run well inWINE but there is a Linux Alternative called the GIMP which is IMHO much better… Turbo OC tools - can’t help you, don’t know what they are.

2. AntiVirus and Firewall - Not needed, see here:
    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

3. Other programs that will work with WINE - Check the WINE App Database or even better use Linux native Alternatives.

4. Will my games have an issue - YES… They will not run, Blizzard have so far refused to support Linux.
    Best solution is to dual-boot (a PC with both Linux and Windows installed separately).

5. Software is generally installed differently in Linux as compared to Windows and seems to be where a lot of new users get confused… In windows, you go off on a web hunt for an app, download an “Installer” and then click to install, now unless you always get the software from a “trusted” source and check MD5 checksums, this system is wide open to abuse and a lot of software will be packaged with malware or even viruses… In Linux by far the majority of software you will install is listed in a “Package Manager” (an application inside your Linux distro), you just select what you want and it will be downloaded and installed for you from the distributions “software repositories” so there is no web searching involved and the software is always downloaded from a trusted source, there will typically be 1000’s of applications and games listed.

ok my system is

and i play WoW Diablo 2 4story and facebook games basicly,

but mu OC tools are to increase my pc, im unser how to do in bios dont wana mess it up,
basicly pc runs normal and i can turn up CPU etc to run Overclocked,

Processor
Model : AMD Phenom™ II X3 720 Processor
Speed : 2.84GHz
Cores per Processor : 3 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Tri-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 3x 64kB, Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way, Exclusive, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 3x 512kB, ECC, Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way, Exclusive, 64 byte line size
L3 On-board Cache : 6MB, ECC, Synchronous, Write-Back, 48-way, 64 byte line size, 3 threads sharing

Computer
Mainboard : Asus Crosshair III Formula
BIOS : AMI 0503 06/18/2009
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 3GB DIMM DDR3

Chipset
Model : ATI (AMD) RD790 GFX Dual Slot
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 2GHz (4GHz)

Chipset
Model : AMD F10h Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron HT Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 2GHz (4GHz)
Total Memory : 3GB DIMM DDR3
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 677MHz (1.35GHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Corsair CM3X1G1333C9 1GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-24 5-34-10-5)
Memory Module : Corsair CM3X1G1333C9 1GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-24 5-34-10-5)

Video System
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (128 SP 424MHz, 1GB DDR3 2x236MHz, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Storage Devices
WDC WD2000JB-00GVA0 (200GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 186GB (C:) (D:)
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S (SATA150, DVD±RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 2kB (E:)
LMRI PIJKHUFW (SCSI, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD±R-DL, CD-R) : N/A (F:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 68GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD2000JB-00GVA0 (200GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
Instal (D:) : 118GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD2000JB-00GVA0 (200GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S (SATA150, DVD±RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
Optical Drive (F:) : N/A @ LMRI PIJKHUFW (SCSI, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD±R-DL, CD-R)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ATI (AMD) IXP SB600 SMBUS Controller
LPC Hub Controller 2 : ATI (AMD) SB700 LPC host controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8720F
Audio Device : ASUS IXP SB600 High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Analog Devices 989Bh
Disk Controller : ATI (AMD) SB700 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
Disk Controller : ATI (AMD) SB700 IDE
USB Controller 1 : ATI (AMD) SB700 USB OHCI0 Controller
USB Controller 2 : ATI (AMD) SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
USB Controller 3 : ATI (AMD) SB700 USB EHCI Controller
USB Controller 4 : ATI (AMD) SB700 USB OHCI0 Controller
USB Controller 5 : ATI (AMD) SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
USB Controller 6 : ATI (AMD) SB700 USB EHCI Controller
USB Controller 7 : ATI (AMD) SB700 USB OHCI2 Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : ASUS 3403h
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : ATI SB600 SMBus
SMBus/i2c Controller 2 : ATI AFS SMBus

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 100Mbps)
Network Adapter : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Your hardware should work 100% under Ubuntu 9.10, I’ve a machine here with a similar spec.

Just one point however, your network card will be 1000Mbps, not 100Mbps … :slight_smile:

how i make it 1000? i copied that off sysoft sandra

Here’s the clue;

PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

• Gigabit ethernet is 1000Mbps
  • The chipset used to support Phenom’s has 1000Mbps support so all modern AMD motherboards (AFAIK) support GbE and have done for some time.
    (certainly Asus boards … )

(whereas with Intel based boards it’s still possible to get 100Mbps)

Also, on my machine with ‘lspci’ I get;

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

And I’ve had this (same chip as yours) up to 997Mbps on test … :slight_smile:

i copied that off sysoft sandra

Which is (apart from ‘wrong’) ?? :wink:

Check you have the correct Windows drivers installed, the fact that it says “Gigabit Ethernet NIC” says it should be running at 1000mb, but it may currently be running at 100mb because the router/other hardware it is connected to is only capable of 100mb connections.

Sisoft Sandra is a windows app, similar to “Hardinfo”… a (commercial) system profiler and benchmarking tool

Ahh… refund!

;D

aaah DOH i remeber lol,

i have instaled the x86 ver windows, cause i lost my x64 set windows disk :frowning: so im kinda running down a OS for my system now at the mment
going to have to try find a windows xp home x64bit somewhere :S lol

this will be my problem here??

Ok, (licks finger and sticks in the air) that’s probably the issue …

Not going to be a problem on Linux, both 32 and b4 bit versions will give you 1000Mbps on your NIC.

wow nice :D, do i need to bother fighting for my 64bit windows,?? as im gona game on my dual boot xp and ofc my main pc use linux,

can i just keep the 32bit win with nic 100mbs? or will my games stil benafit gettin the 64bit xp, even though linux on rest of my hdd will be 64 with nic 1000?

I doubt if running your games in 64bit Windows will improve speed at all unless you have more than 4gb of RAM (where 64bit comes into its own), Sisoft Sandra was probably reporting the speed the NIC is “currently running at”, which is probably 100mb due to it being connected to a router only capable of 100mb connections.

People still use 100Mb routers ??? !!! :wink:

so 1 extra stick of ram will meet the breaking point then? worth the cash?
well im on 24m broardband films will download in about 20 mins each, r5s
can i stil download movies on there (for personal use before paing money on ones i dont like)

if i get another gig will it make difference getin 64 win then?

fyi; those boards take 2G sticks, so you can use 8G easily … I’m currently building a box with an X6 in it (Asus board) that I’m putting 16 into … 16Gb being the max for most of these ASUS Phenom boards …

32bit Windows and Linux can use more than 4gb RAM but only with PAE enabled, and there is an overhead, so a 32bit OS with PAE will not be as fast as a 64bit system.

Yes you will be able to download and watch/convert/burn anything you can in Windows on a Linux system… most Linux distro’s will even come with a bittorrent client already installed if that’s what you mean :slight_smile:

and media players / burning apps / office apps / web apps / etc. will also be installed (by most distro’s) by default too.

again see the Linux alternatives page:

and Main (parent) site

for more info

it gets better and better the more i ask !! i sware this should be wiping micro off the pc market! im gonna start to instal on my 2nd machiene now :slight_smile: and see what happens, that way i can stil chat toyou guys if i mess the system lol