linux freelance admin needed

Hi, I’m looking for linux doctor, my lubuntu just stopped booting, can anybody suggest some linux freelance admin in Hackney or somewhere in East or Central London?

Can’t suggest anyone off the top of my head … but what is the problem, how far does the system get in booting and are there any error messages displayed ?

many thanks for response, It gives the recovery mode option and then starting in recovery mode shows this on 1st photo.
and then when to type - help, then gives this option of commands on 2nd photo, i tried some of them, but they didn’t work

Try this …

Get yourself an Ubuntu LiveCD … boot to it … and without doing anything that might mount the /dev/sdb1 partition, open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run:

sudo fsck /dev/sdb1

then reboot to test.

If it works, you might want to look at the SMART data in “Disk Utility” to see if the drive is failing

I’m putting this link here for reference:

some people have problems with fsck (e2fsck) from Ubuntu LiveCD’s after Ubuntu 9.10 … with this error:-

fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009) e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009) fsck.ext2: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/sdb Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?

That’s caused by an bug in e2fsprogs on certain versions of Ubuntu:

So it may be best to get a 9.10 LiveCD, or the most recent 12.04 LiveCD … or even a Slax LiveCD.

many-many-many thanks, it really worked, people like you are really like magicians for people like me))))
what I have to check at the the SMART data and why? I found there just only this indformation: SMART Status: Not Supported

If the drive doesn’t support SMART, I’m going to guess it’s quite an old drive, so if I were you I’d be sure to backup anything you can’t afford to loose at the earliest opportunity.

If it’s a reasonably new hard drive, It’s possible that SMART is disabled in the BIOS, as AFAIK all newer hard drives support SMART, though some SSD’s (Solid State Drives) don’t.

Personally I’d give consideration to using the money you saved by not needing to hire someone, to buy a new hard drive, then use something like the Clonezilla LiveCD:
http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php
to clone the old hard drive to the new one … then at least you’ll have a copy, just in case :wink:

I’m not trying to scare you, the drive may be fine and may live for years … or it may fail tomorrow … all I’m saying is if it contains things you can’t afford to loose, treat this as a warning/opportunity to check your backup strategy :slight_smile:

[EDIT]

Nearly forgot … You’re more than welcome :slight_smile:

And there’s an explanation of SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) here, if you’re interested:
Smart - Wikipedia.