linux mint

I have successfully installed Mint on my laptop (HP 8megs RAM/2 TB hard disk. However, the only way that I can now get the machine to see my Lan is by plugging
in a USB wi-fi dongle. Before installing I was running Windows 10 and had no problem with wi-fi. Also I can’t get the machine to see my printer (Epson XP850) which is wi-fi enabled. I am a complete novice and would appreciate any help/advice very much. Thanks

Hi walterleehynes, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

firstly, have you run a full system update (from the little shield icon by the clock) then rebooted ?

if so, and it didn’t help, can you open a terminal and post the output from running these commands:

sudo lshw -C network

and

lspci -vnn | grep -i net

and

iwconfig

and

rfkill list

My machine is now up-to-date. however on restarting the following message popped up:

VBOX CLIENT: THE VBOX KERNEL SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING: EXITING.

So before going on and trying the things you kindly suggested I feel I should post this.

Walter

Can you open a terminal and post the output from:

dpkg -l | grep virtualbox

This isn’t a Mint virtual machine running in Virtualbox inside Windows is it ?

Hi Mark,
the following is what was returned when I entered dpkg etc. as per your last post. I can’t see how to enter the vertical stroke between -l and grep. Does this have any significance?
As for your query about virtual machine etc. I wouldn’t know - but as far as I’m aware the answer is no.

My machine came pre-installed with Windows 10 which I didn’t like and having used Ubuntu on an old machine I thought I would install Mint. I didn’t try to make it a dual-boot system and just left the machine to get on with it!

walter@walter-HP-Notebook ~ $ dpkg -l grep virtualbox
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
++±==============-============-============-=================================
ii grep 2.16-1 amd64 GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
dpkg-query: no packages found matching virtualbox

Walter

Walter

If you can’t copy and paste (SHIFT + CTRL V) the instruction to your terminal then try SHIFT + \ this should render the | character.

Mark
Found how to do | (alt gr key) the following was what returned:

walter@walter-HP-Notebook ~ $ dpkg -l | grep virtualbox
ii virtualbox-guest-dkms 4.3.34-dfsg-1+deb8u1ubuntu1.14.04.1 all x86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms
ii virtualbox-guest-utils 4.3.34-dfsg-1+deb8u1ubuntu1.14.04.1 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
ii virtualbox-guest-x11 4.3.34-dfsg-1+deb8u1ubuntu1.14.04.1 amd64 x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest utilities

Should I now enter the lisyt of commands which you sent me earlier?

Walter

Are you using virtualbox ?

Is Mint running in a Virtualbox virtual machine ?

Follow what Mark Greaves says, but, I will provide this solution that I found for you. Seems to be unwanted Updates causing this problem, but maybe not the same for you, don’t know.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1096380&sid=8822917bce522cf2e44496c1a866d5a7#p1096380

I don’t have a virtual machine running as far as I know. The message I was getting about virtual box on boot-up is not there any more. All that I really want to do is to get the wi-fi working on my machine without having to use a dongle. It was working in Windows 10 before I installed Mint but now doesn’t.

All that I really want to do is to get the wi-fi working on my machine

I’ll ask againt then … can you open a terminal and post the output from running these commands:

sudo lshw -C network

and

lspci -vnn | grep -i net

and

iwconfig

and

rfkill list

and

iwlist scan