Live session freeze

Hi guys

Over the last few days I’ve been trying to get a Linux distro installed on my office PC as a dual boot alongside Windows 7, and no matter what distro I try I get a complete freeze seconds after boot into a live session I’ve tried various distros (Peppermint 5, Elementary, LXLE etc) 64bit & 32 bit I’ve tried it with a CD’s DVD’s USB’s the results are always the same

I’m convinced this is a graphics issue although I’ve tried the nomodeset & xforcevesa boot parameters on all distros but no live session will run for any more than 10 seconds before freezing

The PC has a nVidia Geforce 6150 SE n force 430 graphics card can anyone tell me if this is likely to be a graphics issue and if this is a known problem with this card or any suggestions as to what the problem might be

Any help would be much appreciated

Graeme

LiveCD or LiveUSB ?

How are you creating it ?

If USB, have you tried a different USB port ?

Do the keyboard lights flash when it freezes ?

Have you tried disabling all non-essential hardware in the BIOS

Have you run a memory test ?

LiveCD or LiveUSB ?

Both

How are you creating it ?

I’ve used USB Creator and Lili for USB’s and Brasero for CD’s & DVD

If USB, have you tried a different USB port ?

Yes I’ve tried front and rear ports

Do the keyboard lights flash when it freezes ?

Haven’t really noticed that but I’ll check that out and post back

Have you tried disabling all non-essential hardware in the BIOS

can you give me an example of “non essential” ?

Have you run a memory test ?

No but once again I’ll do that and post back

Graeme

Further to my last post, I ran a memory test (2 passes) and no errors were reported, also when it freezes I see no lights on the keyboard it just freezes abruptly there’s no mouse or keyboard activity and the only way out is a cold boot

Graeme

Did you say this motherboard has an nForce 430 chipset ?

Did you say this motherboard has an nForce 430 chipset ?

Yeah…That’s what it says in hardware info on the Windows 7 installation

Graeme

What happens if you add

nouveau.noaccel=1

to the kernel boot line … does it still freeze after booting with that applied ?

This is my office PC so I wont be able to try that till the morning, but I’ll do that first thing if I can and post back

many thanks

Graeme

Okey dokey.

Ok I tried the nouveau.noaccel=1 parameter but no luck I’m afraid it does the same as with xforcevesa & nomodeset which is when it freezes the screen is covered with what looks like radio interference (which is why I thinks it’s a graphics issue) but if I run normally it just freezes with no interference

Graeme

How about disabling the nouveau driver on boot (you may need the xforcevesa or nomodeset too)
Try adding the “nouveau.blacklist=true” kernel boot parameter when the cd boots.

Hi SeZo
Thanks for your input

I tried the nouveau.blacklist=true parameter on it’s own with nomodeset and with xforcevesa but it froze each time, the only difference was with nomodeset it crashed with multi coloured stripes across the screen

Graeme

Any chance you could try a known working graphics card ?

Any chance you could try a known working graphics card ?

Yeah I should be able to do that but I’m not sure when but if I can find time tomorrow I’ll try as it would be very difficult through the week

I have a few cards I can try but I don’t know what spare slots I have on the motherboard

But I’ll try to get it done as soon as I can and post back here

Many thanks

Graeme

Your other options might be to see if it’ll install from the “Try peppermint / Install Peppermint” page … then boot to a console and install the proprietary nvidia drivers.

But I’ll keep looking for other possible solutions, and post any possibilities here.

Ok sorry it’s took me this long to get back to this, but the motherboard didn’t support AGP so I had to look for a pci express card which i finally found and installed this morning (ATI Radeon). but it made no difference, it is however working perfectly in a VM which may or may not tell us something.

So unless there’s any benefit to the community in struggling on I’m happy just to run it in a VM

Many thanks

Graeme

Which graphics driverf were you using with the radeon ?

What is the card ? … radeon what ?

Hi Mark

Sorry I’ve taken so long to respond, been run off my feet this past week

anyway back to business

The card I installed is listed in Windows as an ATI Radeon 4300/4500 series

the onboard is a Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nforce 430

I posted earlier that it’s running fine in a VM, that’s not turned out to be quite accurate, it does run fine until I try to install guest additions at which the mouse freezes and the keyboard acts strangely, but it could be I’m just not doing it right so that could be for another thread, but I just thought I’d mention incase it’s relevant in any way, also during installation Virtualbox reports it doesn’t like my audio chip

Many thanks

Graeme