Low resolution nvidia geforce

Hi giys

I’ve just installed Peppermint 6 on a HP desktop with a nvidia geforce gt 710 gpu and the best resolution I can get is 1024x768 which is too low I’ve checked Additional Drivers but none are being offered

here’s my terminal otput

graeme@Media-Centre ~ $ lshw -c display
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-display UNCLAIMED     
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: NVIDIA Corporation
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:20:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: vga_controller cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f2000000-f2ffffff memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:1100(size=128) memory:f3080000-f30fffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.

Any help would be much appreciated

Graeme

I solved the problem

the solution is here

I’ve never had to do that before but it work fine

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, that might help out mikep here:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12874.msg105490#msg105490
if he decides to go for the GT 710 I suggested :slight_smile:

No, not the best solution! And beside that, the xorg PPA doesn’t contain any Nvidia drivers. All Nvidia drivers are moved to here: Proprietary GPU Drivers : “Graphics Drivers” team.

Please, before responding and providing solutions, please check them first if they are still applicable, up-to-date, valid and maintained! In this case, referring to the xorg PPA using a link to a website is a) not valid b) not applicable.

Also, building a driver without good knowledge of Linux systems will only lead to broken systems. Also, the driver downloaded ffrom the Nvidia website is a generic driver not specific meant for Ubuntu-based distributions/derivatives. The change of breaking a system either by running a wrong command or by the driver not compiled correctly is a real threat here. Therefore it is much wiser to refer to the graphics-drivers PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Now go to your Device Driver Manager and install the Nvidia driver which is marked as recommended. Nothing can go wrong here!