Making videos in Peppermint 5

Hi All,
I raised this topic some time ago and with the help of Mark, Emerga and Degsy I managed to produce some acceptable results.
It was only a trial really as the whole exercise was geared toward taking the Video of my grand-daughters wedding.
The wedding took place last Saturday, and now comes the hard bit.
All images, video and digital have been captured and stored on the computer (twice).
I have one set locked away safely and I will use the set in the working folder to try and create what I want.
I hope to use Openshot as the editor for both sets of clips so I am really asking you chaps who helped the last time, to hold my hand on this.
It should be ok as I can wipe the lot and start again if the troubles become too bad.
So the first question is “Is Openshot suitable for editing and assembling the videos ?”

Hi Don

I would say Openshot is definitely acceptable, it has a small learning curve with a good selection of animations & effects and with a bit of time & patience can produce very good results, however beware it does have a tendency to crash unexpectedly so save your work regularly.

Good luck

Graeme

Thanks Emerga,
I learned the last time that saving regularly was a necessity in Openshot :wink:
I hope it goes well this time but I’m glad your here just in case.

take care
Don W

Emegra, the warning was not enough >:(
I loaded 10 pics, saved as project 1, added all pics to the timeline then saved
I loaded another 10, saved as project 2 " " " " " " "
I loaded another 10 added the pics to the timeline and ran before saving. It crashed at the end of the run and I had to use REISUB to start the computer again.
I reloaded project 2 and have since added a lot of pics, I am at project 10 at the moment and it seems to be quite happy. :slight_smile:

Did you ever try kdenlive ?

Normally I wouldn’t suggest a KDE app (too many dependencies) but if it does the job…

You’ll likely find this will happen a few times, I find it quite random it can run happilly for an hour or more other times it will crash with every change you make, it can be frustrating

Openshot is still in early development but it is being actively developed so hopefully they’ll get the crashing problems sorted out with future releases soon, it’s a shame because it’s such a nice program to use when it’s working right.

Graeme

I’ve heard kdenlive is good and more stable that Openshot but I personally have no experience using it, so I wouldn’t be able to help you much but I’m sure others on here have experience using it that would help.

I’ve always avoided it due to the KDE dependencies Mark mentioned

Graeme

Thanks Mark,
I have kdenlive on the computer although I can’t remember using it. I put it on when I raised this subject the last time.
I have managed to load all 173 pictures into Openshot and saved the project so I will relax until tomorrow.
I will have a look at kdenlive in the morning. :wink:
@Emerga, Openshot is a nice programme to use, as you say, so I think I will stay with it while it is working. Adding a couple of files at a time and saving regularly
is ok.
EDIT I have just looked at kdenlive and at first glance it looks very much like Openshot but with twice as many timelines :wink:
RE EDIT I have had a play around with kdenlive and it finally froze. The mouse let me open a terminal window but I didn’t know the command to shut the programme down so I ended with another REISUB.
The programmes seem ok it must be me :wink: :wink:

Im not sure but it could just be a thing with video editors in general (some being worse than others), a while back I tried using Cinelerra and it was worse that Openshot.

Also bear in mind video editing is extremely CPU intensive, I have a fairly fast dual core processor on my PC and it struggles handling any more than 5 tracks

Graeme

Hi Emerga,
I noticed when I load 5 images at a time eg. img1, img2,img3,img4 and img5.
It then asks if I want to use img1 as a marker or something, I click ‘NO’
The list of img’s comes up and looks like
img2
img3
img4
img5
img1
I then have to start by putting img1 on the timeline and then going to the top of the list to img2 etc
Is this ok or have I mucked up somewhere.

Hi Don

When you added the image files into Openshot , did you add them one at a time or as a batch, if you added them as a batch you would have been asked if you wanted to add them as an image sequence I’m guessing that’s what you’ve done, I ve never done it that way because I’ve always wanted the freedom to place files on the timeline in any order I want, I’m not sure what the consequences are of adding as a sequence as I’ve never done that so I’m not sure what the implications of that are if it was me and it wasn’t to much trouble I would remove the files and add them again and when asked if you want to add them as an image sequence say No

Graeme

Thanks Graeme,
I was adding them 10 at a time, so I guess this is where the problem arose :-[
Thanks for the help.

There’s nothing wrong with adding them 10 (or more if you want) at a time just when asked “do you want to add image files as a sequence” select NO

Good luck

Graeme

Hi Graeme,
That was what I done but it still puts the first file at the bottom of the list.
I can’t seem to import 10 files in the correct order.
At the moment my problem is the programme freezing.
This is the third time I started the programme, it just freezes and nothing works, I have to AltGr+SysRq+REISUB to get it going again.
Is there another way to get out of the frozen programme ?

take care
Don W

If you can open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T … try running:

sudo killall openshot

If you can’t open a terminal, can you drop to a console with Ctrl+Alt+F3 … then log in in text mode … then run:

sudo killall openshot

then either hit Ctrl+Alt+F7 or run:

sudo service lightdm restart

to get back to the desktop

Hi Don

I’m not sure why it’s misplacing the order, but to be honest it doesn’t really matter what order they’re in so long as you can identify the files by their number and place them in the right order on the timeline

Graeme

Yes, that is what I do.
I am trying to make a title ( a beginning title and an end title) and it is ok at the moment.
I may try an animated title later.
Also I would like to add a background track to the digital (still) images so I have a bit of work to do yet :wink:

Thanks Mark,
I missed your post yesterday :-[
I think that advice was already given in an earlier thread :-[ I have copied it out and have it to hand now. Thanks again.
I have tried both Openshot and kdenlive and find both quite easy to use, and both are quite similar in layout, use etc.
The video from the Toshiba Video camera was mostly pretty good but some is poor.
The digital images from the Canon stills camera were good and I have managed to save 174 of them using Openshot and saving to DVD using bombono ;D
I would like to make another DVD with a selection of images and some backing music. The music could be a problem ?
Thanks chaps, I no doubt will be back.

take care
Don W

For my teeny-tiny part, you’re welcome :wink:

Hi Don

Sounds like you’re getting on fine, to be honest the soundtrack will probably be the easiest part, just add a track and drag your music file into it, the only complication might be if your photo or video compilation overstretches the length a soundtrack and you need to loop or mix another one in, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it

Good luck

Graeme