Meet the MintBox - Linux Mint Mini-PC

Meet the MintBox, a AMD G-series rebranded CompuLab FitPC3 running Linux Mint from the Linux Mint team.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7218/7316426796_bf7914f67c_z.jpg

It seems Mint don’t want to lose out on the “certified” hardware game that Canonical are playing. So specs, what are they? Well.

AMD CPU up to 1.65GHz dual core ; Dual-head Radeon HD graphics ; 4GB of RAM ; 250GB HDD ; 4x USB ports ;Dual-head DisplayPort ; HDMI ; 2 eSATA ports ; Ethernet ; Wi-Fi and A metal case that has been “Ruggedized”.

So does it tickle your fancy? It sounds interesting certainly, and a date is unknown just now, but there is rumor it couple be as early as next week. The Mint team haven’t released a price either, but I’m sure one could assume an estimate of somewhere “around £425” says Joey Sneddon (OMG! Ubuntu! Blogger).

Going back to the MintBox, it will be running the latest version of Mint with the MATE desktop enviroment. The mini-PC itself will be fanless, so if I were you, keep your windows open! Or shove it in the freezer? ;D

The Mint team will receive a “small percentage” for each sale of the MintBox, and my guess is that it’ll all go towards development for Linux Mint to “diversify” itself from Ubuntu.

Ooo, NO … not at that price … jeez, I’d want a copy of Windows I could sell and a monitor for that, and I still probably wouldn’t want it.

To me that’s just an expensive Acer REVO

I don’t think they quite understood when someone mentioned the mini PC craze :wink:

Hmm… It might be mini in size but maxi in price. :o
That is an example of what not to do ???

Also in competition with the Google Chromebox

The Chromebox measures 7.5 x 7.5 x 1.3 inches (19 x 19 x 3.3 cm), weighs 2.6 lbs (1.2 kg) and is available now for US$329.
http://www.gizmag.com/google-chromebox/22748/

My belief is that the AMD CPU, and GFX Card are the reasons the price is so high… but why would they go with a Raedon GFX card, when AMD doesn’t support Linux no more? ??? I would’ve went with NVIDIA… The CPU boasts a 1.5Ghz clock.

Seriously, I don’t see the point of another x86 mini PC … unless you throttle the CPU it’ll be power hungry, and if you do choke it, you’re wasting its power … it’s also been done before.

I see much more point in their ARM based Trim Slice … which are much more reasonably priced, still high compared to the raft cheap ARM/Android devices that are appearing, yet they are available now, appear to have a good spec (dual core ARM Cortex A9 NVIDIA Tegra 2, 1GB RAM, built in wireless, etc.) with a lot of ports, … plus there’s no attempt to lock you into Android as they’ll run “proper” Linux out of the box too.
(available images from their website are an LXDE version of Ubuntu 11.04, and Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich)

I’d be interested to know how these perform with a proper Linux installation on a quick SSD :slight_smile:

I’d be interested as well. I’m moving myself more towards ARM these days. It seems to be a fast, and growing shift in our world. Running Android on one would be so boss. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if Linux Mint will do an ARM respin ? … because in my opinion, they’d have been better off with the Trim Slice than the Fit PC … plus it would be have grabbed the imagination more :slight_smile:

You never know. It would be interesting to see anyway.

Let’s not be too negative about this. I think it’s a step in the right direction. Pricing is often overstated initially. It also could be very good which would help it’s pricing. I’ll wait and see when it comes out.

Nah … it’s x86 … nothing new here … what’s the difference between this and an Acer REVO (with Mint), and the REVO cost less ?

I don’t know why Mint doesn’t get the jump on everyone else by basing the MintBox on ARM … which would also halve the price.

The same company that makes the Fit PC lso makes the Trim Slice, which is half the price, and IMHO a MUCH more interesting proposition :slight_smile:

An ARM MintBox would also stir up MUCH more press interest.

Today, the MintBox has officially went on sale and there’s TWO version, both of which are extortionate.

The “basic” version costing you a rather large hole of $476 excl. import tax, shipping costs, and VAT, comes with:

250GB HDD
8x USB ports (4 front-facing, 4 rear facing)
Dual-head display HDMI plus DisplayPort
Digital audio
Ethernet
WiFi and Bluetooth (with dual antennas)
2 eSATA ports
APU G-T40N (1.0 GHz dual core + Radeon HD 6290
4GB RAM
Flat metal case

The rather even further hole-in-your-deep-pockets “pro” version costs you a meer, half grand. Specifically $549, and for that you get all of the above, only you get:

APU G-T56N (1.65 GHz dual core + Radeon HD 6320
8GB RAM
Ribbed metal case

Instead of the low spec, basic version.

I would rather buy a used Macbook for the same price as the pro rather than pay for such ridiculous prices for a fanless mini-PC.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8013/7351313688_eeb48baecf_z.jpg

Source: OMG! Ubuntu!

You need to change the OMG Ubuntu link from .com to .co.uk

As it stands it forwards you to some weird page (I’m not going to say what), check for yourself :o

Probably best to link to the exact article rather than just omgubuntu.co.uk … as the article won’t be on their front page for long.
Fanless Linux Mint PC Goes on Sale - OMG! Ubuntu

Hahaha, wtf. :o My bad, link changed.

Just in case anyone’s interested … I’ve just visited the page where you can buy them:

and was forwarded to paypal, where the prices turned out to be:-

MintBox Basic = $531.00 = £344.51 (at current conversion rate)
MintBox Pro = $604.00 = £391.75 (at current conversion rate)

Which aint that bad when you consider the “Pro” is £389.00 ex. VAT (Basic = £355.00 ex. VAT) here:
http://store.tinygreenpc.com/tiny-green-pcs/fit-pc3-1.html

Still stupid when compared to the raft of ARM devices that are appearing though.

Like I said, I’d take a MacBook Pro over one of those. (MintBoxes) :confused: