Menu Bar

I find that it’s much easier to access my system preferences and administration from the control centre. For this reason I have no need for the system menu on my menu bar, and would like to remove it to free up some space on my cluttered panel. I have looked around for a method but can’t find one. The main menu tool (right click on the menu bar and click ‘edit menus’) does not allow it as there is no single root for the tree, only a root for each menu.
Is there a way to do this?

I don’t think you can do what you want, BUT, why not remove the “Menu Bar” applet altogether, then add the “Main Menu” panel applet in its place (through right-click>add to panel)… this will give you a little Ubuntu icon like the one that is there now, which when clicked displays all the menus, including “Places” and “System”.

You can always change it back.

Yes, I’ve tried that but I don’t like it as much because places comes as a submenu rather than on its own.
I’ve found the file relating to the settings menu:
/etc/xdg/menus/settings.menu
If I delete this file, will there be hell to pay?

Haven’t got the foggiest… I suggest renaming rather than deleting… worst case scenario, boot from a LiveCD, and rename it back.

Or even better, test in a VM first.

[EDIT]
Doesn’t work… it only removes the “Preferences” and “Administration” sub menu’s.

Never mind, it’s not too massive. I’ve installed mintmenu instead which I like.

Yeh… I USED to like “Slab” the basis of the Mint Menu… but now just prefer the simplicity of the standard GNOME menu :wink: … Glad you found something you like… there are a few different “Menu” apps for GNOME.

If you haven’t already…You might also want to take a look at GnoMenu… it can be loaded from a PPA:

There are loads of themes for it on gnome-look.org:
http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=189
and
Probably The Best 5 GnoMenu Themes ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

Yes, I noticed the GnoMenu in an article but didn’t like the look of it so much.
I’ve also seen good reviews for one called ‘cardapio’ but I can’t find a download (and I’m happy with the mintmenu).

I know you are happy with Mint Menu, but for others who may stumble across this page… cardapio can be installed by adding the ppa:cardapio-team/unstable PPA repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cardapio-team/unstable

Updating the apt package cache:

sudo apt-get update

and installing the cardaio package:

sudo apt-get install cardapio

for GnoMenu you need to add the ppa:gnomenu-team/ppa PPA repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnomenu-team/ppa

Updating the apt package cache:

sudo apt-get update

and installing the cardaio package:

sudo apt-get install gnomenu

They can then be added to the panel in the usual way… right-clicking the panel, and selecting “Add to panel”.