Microsoft replaces Skype P2P supernodes with grsecurity hardened Linux servers

I must say I find it mildly amusing that Microsoft have chosen to use servers running a grsecurity hardened Linux OS rather than their own server OS, to replace P2P supernodes in the Skype network.

Seems they’re in no rush to advertise that though … you might be forgiven for thinking they don’t trust MS Server 2011 security or something :wink:

See here for details:-

and

Not that I know how Skype works, but is this not a bad news in that Microsoft is replacing
the random supernodes with their own? Even if they might be running Linux.

Not that I understand how the Skype network works either … but I’m gonna guess that since Microsoft bought Skype (and Skype were the ones to assign the supernodes in the first place) they’ve been the gatekeepers anyway … so if they already have access, I’d rather stuff just go through them than them AND third party nodes that were probably running Windows with all the security issues that entails.

Not to mention the fact that I don’t use Skype :wink:

Not to mention the fact that I don't use Skype ;)

I don’t either but my children do. It appears that what was de-centralised now becomes centralised.
Not a good move, specially that Microsoft is controlling ALL the supernodes.
What next? Start paying for the service?

Well Microsoft have never liked giving away a service … so you never know … maybe some kind of paid “premium Skype service”, then slowly let the “free” version lag behind, then pull some features out of the free version, then drop updates, then drop support, then change the protocol.

Sound about right ?

LOL! I have Skype, but never really use it. You’ve always had to “buy” Skype currency if you wanted to make calls to mobiles or LANs.

Oh it’s getting worse already, it used to be that you could share screens with the other person, and while it was a little laggy, it was very handy when folks couldn’t find stuff. Tried to use it the other day and got told to “upgrade to premium to use this service” or words to that effect. So stage 3 on the list Mark gave…

Heh … I knew it …

Cheers for that, it’s nice to know my crystal ball still works :wink:

I’ve already spotted a fault in the way they’re using Linux servers as “supernodes”.

People will be able to trace calls, about who called who, who was invited, what happened, how long it lasted for, etc.

It’s a sneaky move by MS, but I can guarantee you this is the information governments or “legal entities” will pay for.

So, basically what they’ve done is, gone from a secure way of calling, to a not secure way of calling… I.E. Destroying Skype. :frowning:

I was wondering how long it will be before we come to this:

Can Skype 'wiretap' video calls?
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/24/tech/web/skype-surveillance/index.html

Aargh … did you have to do that … please warn me next time your link opens on a picture of Steve Ballmer :wink:

Yup, was bound to happen … Microsofts non-response to questions was more interesting than what was said.

It’s software. Of course we can.

So the next time it will be “Now Children, please look away whilst opening the following link” ;D

A quick warning would be nice … there’s sommat about the shape of that guys bald head, and his general appearance that turns my stomach.

At least give me time to prepare :wink: