Mint 15 won't dual boot

SUCCESS, i removed my 1TB and everything went through with no problems, except Mint 16 did not shut down properly, it froze, i did a manual restart and i now have a dual boot system, with the 1TB reconnected and mint on a 50.gig part of it’s own making.

Many thanks for all the help and advice, i am just going to boot back into mint, to see if the shut down freeze has sorted it’s self and to try and get proper colour on the mint desktop, instead of everything being pink.

Oh and yes in the live cd i was still able to access and save files info to the 1TB, i will let you know if the shut down freezing continues.

When you boot to Mint, open a terminal and send the output from running:

sudo lshw -C display

Okay i will do that, i have just been in mint and let the update manager install 137 updates and changed my display driver to the one it wants instead of the propriety one, shut down problem has gone as well.

New river has solved the pink desktop problem, although it is now detecting my monitor as a 32" instead of a 24" as a result my desktop is too big and i am loosing the desktop edges by around 10.mm outside the viewable area, is there any way to manually resize the desktop other than the setting it chooses.

Here is the result of the code run.

imack@imack-GA-990XA-UD3 ~ $ sudo lshw -C display
[sudo] password for imack:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: GK107 [GeForce GT 640]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:18 memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:de000000-dfffffff ioport:cf00(size=128) memory:d0000000-d007ffff
imack@imack-GA-990XA-UD3 ~ $

You should be able to use the propriatory driver - I have a GT 630m and that runs a dream on it (via bumblebee, but that’s another story/thread). I can’t remember the package name, but if you open Synaptic and search for “nvidia”, it should jump out

He’s already loaded the nvidia driver, otherwise it would be saying “driver=nouveau” in his lshw output.

@imack

There should be a menu item called something like “Nvidia Settings” that should allow you to fine tune the settings.

Or possibly the

Preferences > Monitors

menu item … but probably best to use Nvidia Settings.

Fantastic thanks.

Nouveau is the open-source driver, I couldn’t get it to play ball but the closed source drivers are spot on.

Ubuntu installation instructions are here (not current though) - BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia - Community Help Wiki