MP4 and Matroska videos keep stopping

Guys I have some videos on my laptop - mp4s and matroskas and I watch them in either media player or VLC, but they play for a few mins and keep stopping. It isn’t the vids themselves, as they were all fine before. What can I do?

Is this the Peppermint 3 laptop or the Mint 13 one ?

Oops sorry Mark- meant to say that it is the Peppermint 3 laptop with this problem. I haven’t used the Mint netbook for awhile…I bet that has loads of updates waiting now lol.

Have you ever played these videos on THIS laptop before ? … mp4 and Matroka in particular use a lot of system resources, so struggle on low end hardware.

Yes, always do.

How’d I stop them stopping?

start playing one … then whilst it’s still playing, open a terminal and post the output from:

free -m

Thank you Mark, I shall do, but can’t do right now as the torrent is downloading and daren’t do anything that might make the laptop crash ( low RAM you see). This torrent has been downloading since 10pm last night!! I hope it will be finished tomorrow.

The torrent client should give you an ETA (how long is left)

The thing about torrents is, if you stop the torrent (say by shutting down your PC), it’ll carry on downloading from where it was when you turn it back on again :wink:
(it doesn’t have to start from the beginning again)

The torrent client should give you an ETA (how long is left)

It is STILL downloading!! That is 2 days now. It does give me an ETA and keeps changing every few seconds- like 1 day 12 hours, 2days etc, so I have no idea when it will finally be finished. Maybe this time next year. ???

The thing about torrents is, if you stop the torrent (say by shutting down your PC), it'll carry on downloading from where it was when you turn it back on again ;) (it doesn't have to start from the beginning again)

I am kind of scared to shut this old laptop down- it’s got not much RAM- something might go wrong! I daren’t even watch any other videos/iplayer etc, cos it will crash after awhile and then if I reboot I’m scared the torrent might be lost. So I am using the Mint netbook to watch videos/iplayer etc.

Do torrents normally take days???

elissa@melissa-HP-Compaq-nx6325-RH628ES-ABU ~ $ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 684 634 50 0 14 69
-/+ buffers/cache: 550 134
Swap: 701 89 612
melissa@melissa-HP-Compaq-nx6325-RH628ES-ABU ~ $

The one drive guy has downloaded the episodes ( matroskas ) I am missing Mark! I have downloaded two. If they stop, will watch on the netbook. I will stop the torrent- it’s taking too long anyway.

The problem appears to be that you’re using swap because of a lack of memory … we can keep going around in circles, but you’ll keep having problems with any apps that require a lot of RAM until you get some more memory :wink:

We could drop the swappiness (if we haven’t already), but it’s no substitute for lack of RAM.

I know Mark- but I am unemployed and broke. I can’t afford to get RAM right now… :-[

elissa@melissa-HP-Compaq-nx6325-RH628ES-ABU ~ $ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 684 629 55 0 9 61
-/+ buffers/cache: 558 125
Swap: 701 228 473
melissa@melissa-HP-Compaq-nx6325-RH628ES-ABU ~ $

The videos have started stopping again.

I’m sure I’ve said this before (or I’m having a bad case of deja vu), but there’s nothing you can do about this without getting more RAM.
(or possibly trying an even lighter distro … but bear in mind, uber-light distros can be a bit awkward to use)

Well they working fine right now (keeps fingers crossed). I re downloaded ones that kept stopping. Re the RAM issue- I would buy RAM right now if I wasn’t “unemployed” living on £185 a month… :-[ :cry:
(I do work, just don’t get paid for it).