Need help installing dbg for Dolphin but the repo has the wrong version.

I have entered a bug report but it is incomplete due to Dolphin being unable to report its crash properly as the version of the dbg file is a lower version than the version of Dolphin I have installed, which is 4:16.04.3-0ubuntu2.1~ubuntu16.04~ppa1 and the repo version is 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1

I told you all those PPA’s were eventually going to give you problems.

I can find no available 4.16 version of dolphin-dbg … in fact recent versions of dolphin don’t have a separate dolphin-dbg package.

Lol Mark, you sound like my dad :wink:
The PPA’s didn’t cause the problem as they came after the installation of Dolphin as that was installed upon installation of the OS ages ago.

https://i.imgur.com/88XF6Gtl.png

Recent versions don’t have external PPA’s, so what you’re saying is that from version XX the dbg is built in?
So, if I want to escape this bug, how can I install the latest (or higher) version?

What I’m saying is if dolphin 4.15 is the version in the repos, I assume you must have gotten 4.16 from a PPA ?

I have no idea if 4.16 has the dbg symbols built in … I’m not a KDE user … I just know from a search on launchpad there is no longer a package called dolphin-dbg, the latest I can find is the matching one for dolphin 4.15, dolphin (4.17) in 18.04 doesn’t have a dolphin-dbg package.

Is there a way I can force install the latest version of Dolphin. I’ve had a Google but I could not find any specifics on how to install other versions.

Not sure how that would help you … in fact it might make things worse, you’re already having dependency issues because you current version of dolphin is ahead of its supporting packages in your repos … your best course of action would be to drop back to the 4.15 version of dolphin.

That said, I’m no KDE expert … I gather there MAY be a way to add the entire latest KDE … but I wouldn’t know how.

That’s strange as I’ve not forced the installation of 16.04, it may be because I’ve got backports repo loaded, even then, the backports repo is installed on a fresh install. So, I’m stuck!!!

You could always force dolphin back to 4.15 … but if you have the backports repo installed (which is supposed to seamlessly move you to the latest KDE), I can’t guarantee that won’t give you other problems.

As dolphin 4.16 now doesn’t appear to require dolphin-dbg, it might be worth seeing what would happen if you simply uninstalled dolphin-dbg … what’s the output from:olphin-dbg

sudo apt-get -s remove --purge dolphin-dbg

the above command is only a “simulated dry run”, nothing will actually get uniinstalled … it’ll just tell us what would happen if we ran it without the “-s” option, so we can check if it’d be safe.

As we can see, it doesn’t as shouldn’t I have the latest version of Dolphin installed?

As dolphin 4.16 now doesn't appear to require dolphin-dbg, it might be worth seeing what would happen if you simply uninstalled dolphin-dbg .. what's the output from dolphin-dbg

According to the reply from someone dealing with the bug report I filed, the info that dolphin-dbg provides was not included in my debug info which was automatically uploaded, so it looks like dolphin-dbg is not included in the installation of dolphin 16.04.

``` sudo apt-get -s remove --purge dolphin-dbg ```
As I am unable to provide you with the output from my desktop version (as it's currently crashed), I can provide you with the output from my laptop, which I am having the same problem;

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package dolphin-dbg

the above command is only a "simulated dry run", nothing will actually get uninstalled .. it'll just tell us what would happen if we ran it without the "-s" option, so we can check if it'd be safe.

Maybe you need to install this
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dolphin/4:16.04.3-0ubuntu1/+build/10975722/+files/dolphin-dbgsym_16.04.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.ddeb
and this
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dolphin/4:16.04.3-0ubuntu1/+build/10975722/+files/libdolphinvcs5-dbgsym_16.04.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.ddeb

from here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dolphin/4:16.04.3-0ubuntu1/+build/10975722

Upon trying to install the first package, I get ‘Unable to satisfy dependencies’ error.

As a test, I’ve uninstalled Dolphin and with the link you gave me, I downloaded the rest of the files, 6 in total.
I then started to install them, I then encountered the same problem as above, ‘cant satisfy dependencies’ when trying to install ‘libdolphinvcs-dev_16.04.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.debdolphin’.

I am also informed that there’s a newer version in the repo’s when installing ‘dolphin_16.04.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb’.