Network Access External Hard Drive

Hello folks, I am looking at getting a NAS (Network Access Storage) External Hard Drive for storing everything on. I was looking at a 1TB Buffalo machine for about £80 but it only appears to support Windows and MAC systems. Does anyone know if the Bufalo will work or failing that, of any alternatives out there? I am really quite keen on the idea of ditching windows reliance.

Cheers for any help,

Smiler.

Yes I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live and it works perfectly with Linux :slight_smile: … the “Live” versions built in DLNA media server also streams media to an Xbox360 and/or PS3 without issue.

The ONLY thing that doesn’t work is its ability to switch itself to STANDBY when the computer is switched OFF, but I never switch it off anyway… Oh, and obviously the included backup software, but there are (free) Linux alternatives anyway.

And you may need a Windows PC to ease the initial setup… but it’s not necessary.

You’ll have to set up the network drives on you Ubuntu machine manually… but this is very easy.

Indeed, the Linkstation itself is actually running Linux as its OS :wink:

I’d even go as far as to recommend them (at the price)… I have the LS-CH500L (500gb version) of this:

That’s the exact model I was looking at!

How do you rate it’s performance? Are data access rates reasonable? How about remotely via the internet?
I am planning on keeping everything on it. For another £25 they do a 2TB model aswell. Will probably transfer my entire music collection (well, maybe not some of it) onto it in MP3 format too access anywhere over the net such as whilst on holiday.

Isn’t modern technology marvelouse?!

Smiler.

Can’t say I’ve actually tested the performance over the internet, though it is set up for it… Buffalo perform dynamic DNS name resolution for you (or you can use DynDNS etc.) if you have a dynamic IP address.

Performance over the local network is about what you’d expect… ATM it’s only connected to a 100mbps router, so it’s not “super-fast” for huge transfers, I’d say it’s “acceptable”, but that’s more a limitation of the network, not the Linkstation… next on my list is a 1gb switch so I can connect to it at higher transfer rates (it has a 1gb built-in network adapter).

Hmm, just realised that I don’t have a clue how good or bad that is. How long would you expect it to take to upload an MP3 song from the drive? (assuming that you have done that)

Thanks for the help, it’s all very much appreciated. I’m not that clued up on computers, old cars are my first hobbie. Or anything old with oily bits to be honest!

On the local network @ 100mbps, a single mp3 will be as near as damn it instantaneous… the transfer window doesn’t even get the chance to open.

I’ve just timed a transfer of a 685.3 MB ISO image and it took 74 secs with a displayed transfer rate of around 7.9 MB/sec

That’s on a 100mbps network (not a 1000mbps) and the router is being accessed by 3 other people at the same time (though I doubt if that makes much difference)… so as I said, “acceptable” and should be MUCH quicker once on the 1gbit switch.

[EDIT]

If you mean from the web… well it will be as quick as uploading it from any other PC on your home network to the web… and as long as there aren’t multiple concurrent inbound connections, comparable with downloading from a website (easily enough to “stream” music to a single connection if that’s what you’re asking)… the limit there is going to be your broadband upload bandwidth, not the drive.

Well that sounds damned fine to me! :slight_smile: Best start saving my pennies. I might have a clear out and see what nice things I can find to flog to the apprentices at work. I’m sure there’s some old car stereo bits and pieces in the garage somewhere from the various organ donors I’ve taken apart over the years. Plus the home Hi-Fi kit.

Thanks again for all the help, you’ve been great. It’s all very much appreciated. 8)

Regards,

Smiler.

I have just taken delivery of a 1TB Buffalo Linkstation Live NAS!

Now I just have to figure out how to get it up and runing in Linux! ;D

The easiest way is to use a Windows PC, and the included software to access its web interface the first time… then (from within the web interface) disable DHCP and give it a static IP… then you can access the web interface from any OS by entering:

http://[b]192.168.0.9[/b]/static/index.html or just http://[b]192.168.0.9[/b]

in a web browser.

(obviously you’ll need to change the 192.168.0.9 bit to the static IP you gave to your Linkstation)

That seems to make sense, I shall have a go at it. Though I am about to go away for a few days so it might not be until next week now.

Thanks again Mark.

Simon.

Just for clarity… by “web interface” I don’t mean its external web server… I mean its setting menus can be accessed over the LAN from within a browser.

Similar to the way you can enter your routers local IP to access its settings.

If you have any problems, let me know, and I’ll attempt to walk you through it.