New PC setup

Ok firstly I am not a techy, so explain as simply as possible please :-\

I know Linux is the way forward, I am looking to buy a new PC, no OS pre installed, I know the best way to install is onto the hard drive, can someone advise if there are any hardware requirements or will any setup work?

Thanks for all/any help.

Mmm, as manufactures often don’t quote “linux compatibility” it can sometimes be a bit random, however pretty much “all” PC’s will work, the only question is to what extent. i.e. whether you end up with a weird network controller or similar that Linux can’t recognise.

That said, there are some vendors (Dell!) now selling machines with Linux pre-loaded, so it’s a fairly safe bet that these are going to work for you. (I’m afraid I’d be inclined to recommend Dell if you want a cheapish workstation ‘off the shelf’)

Generally if you build your own machine, as parts tend to be fairly standard a ‘generic’ machine will probably be the easiest to work with, although there are still pitfalls. I’m working with one of ASUS’s most recent montherboards ATM and I’ve found that (believe it or not) the onboard IDE controller does not work with Linux, so I’m reduced to using a SATA CD-ROM drive. Not a major problem, just a waste of a fiver if you’ve bought an IDE CD-ROM.

Can’t say there’s much in the way of “requirements” and Linux will work with most hardware, but there is some advice like preferably go for an nVidia graphics card, their Linux drivers are better than ATI’s, same goes for HP with printers, and do your homework on any peripherals such as wireless cards.

It might be a good idea to find a PC or components, and then come back and ask about them specifically.

Again, forgive the lasck of further technical explanation

Spec as follows:

Asus M4N68T
AMD Athlon II X4 635 AM3
Coolermaster Hyper TX3
8GB DDR3 1333mhz (4x 2GB)
500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA Lightscribe
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
Asus Xonar DS 7.1
Wireless 802.11G PCI card
700W EZCool Tornado

I can’t see you having any problems with that lot, obviously I can’t comment on the wireless card, but the rest should be fine.

Excellent!

I had heard there can sometimes be compatibility issues with motherboards.

All really helpful, thank you guys :smiley: