New user, a few things I wanted to check...

First off hi, and sorry, cos I’m probably about to ask some painfully obvious questions…

I read that I don’t need anti virus software… to what extent do I not need it? Is it a case of ‘just don’t be a moron’ or '99% of viruses are built for windows so you’re damned near invincible?

when I start up my screen flickers with lines between my motherboard screen, Ubuntu loading screen and the login screen, is that normal?

Installing Ubuntu and any software has thus far been quick and painless, and I can already work my way around it much better than Windows… why isn’t everyone using Linux?

Not only are 99.999% (estimate, can’t be bothered to do the math :wink: it’s kinda pointless) of viruses/malware written for Windows, but Viruses would find it VERY difficult to survive in the Linux environment.

Viruses/Malware by OS:

Linux - Less than 35 in total, EVER.

Windows - (according to AVG) up to a staggering 10,950,000 new pieces of malicious Windows code PER YEAR.

In total (according to Ubuntu, and they are probably right) there have been less than 35 Linux viruses in total EVER… most of these have been “proof of concept” viruses that were never in the wild… the few that have appeared in the wild were quickly dealt with, and found it impossible to gain any real foothold… the Linux “Sotware repository” system and “Permissions” make it a VERY hostile environment for viruses, and also limit the damage any virus could do to your system.

IMHO, there are NO true Linux viruses…
For a better explanation, see here:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/general-help-advice/help-no-graphics/msg27132/#msg27132
and
Rick’s Rants - Should I get anti-virus software for my Linux box?
and
The short life and hard times of a Linux virus

The flickering screen, is probably where you graphics drivers are getting loaded then changing screen modes, so I wouldn’t worry about it unless it occurs during or after the login screen… which Ubuntu version are you running?, which graphics card do you have?, and which graphics drivers are you using?

I hope you are installing your software “properly” through your package manager, or the Ubuntu Software Centre, rather than downloading directly from the interweb, the way you would in Windows?

why isn't everyone using Linux?

Because they know no better… yet :wink:

Linux is virus free and friendly then, guess I’ll just have to get used to not scanning my computer every time I download something… :smiley:

I’m on Ubuntu 10.10. I have a ATI radeon HD 5450. I’ve installed the drivers from the Additional Drivers ‘thing’ (system > administration >additional drivers.) so whatever drivers that installed, I checked it a few times and other than the 3D accelerator it’s not given me anything else so I’ve sort of assumed it was all up to date shifty eyes

Incidently, I don’t suppose you happen to know how I can get the DDL Overdrives in wine to actually save when I paste them into the text file? every time I tell it to save it says it has but then I check wines libraries and they’re not there apart from d3d8 which I put in manually…

What is DDL Overdrive?

Where are the text files you are trying to edit, and how are you opening them?

If you are using the proprietary graphics drivers (and you are if you got them through additional drivers), the flikering is as I said… just kernel mode setting… nothing to worry about.

applications>accessories > text editor.

Open > ~/.wine/user.reg

which gives the giant wall of code ‘stuff’

so i find

[Software\Wine\Debug] 1298903839
“RelayExclude”=“ntdll.RtlEnterCriticalSection;ntdll.RtlLeaveCriticalSection;kernel32.48;kernel32.49;kernel32.94;kernel32.95;kernel32.96;kernel32.97;kernel32.98;kernel32.TlsGetValue;kernel32.TlsSetValue;kernel32.FlsGetValue;kernel32.FlsSetValue;kernel32.SetLastError”
“RelayFromExclude”=“winex11.drv;user32;gdi32;advapi32;kernel32”

[Software\Wine\DllOverrides] 1298939907
“d3d8”=“builtin”

and then add the rest of the DII Overrides underneath and and save.

So then I go to Configure wine > libraries and the rest of the overrides do not appear.

I’m pretty sure it’s the one thing stopping me from installing DirectX so I can play rift, but time will tell.

Ahh… dll overrides…

Easiest way to tell wine to use native dll’s for specific applications, is to open winecfg:

winecfg

When winecfg opens… in the “Applications” tab click “Add” and browse to the application.

with the application still highlighted in the “Applications” tab, change to the “Libraries” tab.

in “New override for library” enter the name of the dll, such as comdlg32 (do not enter the .dll on the end)

Highlight it in the “Existing overrides” window, and select “Edit”, select “Native (Windows)” or whatever… click “OK”, then “OK” again… or add some other overrides.

I don’t know what’s happening there…

I added the d3d8 override manually (as above)

Then went to ~/.wine/user.reg

and it displayed

[Software\Wine\DllOverrides] 1298944801
“d3d8”=“builtin”

so i changed it to:

[Software\Wine\DllOverrides] 1298944801
“d3d8”=“builtin”
“test”=“native”
“test1”=“native”
“test2”=“builtin”

Saved the user.reg file

opened winecfg

and as long as I had “Default Settings” highlighted in the “Applications” tab, then switched to the “Libraries” tab… they were ALL displayed.

So manual editing the user.reg file SHOULD work… are you sure you own the file (user.reg), and it’s not opening in gedit as read-only?

grins sheepishly I broke it…

I added all of the DDL Overdrives from the list and then downloaded mscoree.dll and streamci.dll, and checked they were on the list. I installed DirectX seemingly successfully and it told me to restart, it got to the Ubuntu screen and there was a line or so of code after the word Ubuntu and then the screen wouldn’t receive the signal from the computer…

I’m guessing there’s not a way to fix what I did from the downloaded trial disk is there?

Erm… how did you install DirextX… with WINE?

I’m at a loss as to how this would have killed Ubuntu, as it should only have been installed to the ~/.wine directory.

How did you install Ubuntu… inside windows with WUBI by any chance?

I downloaded the re-distributable package, told it to be an executable file, and opened it with wine, it seemed to install fine. but said it had to restart to be usable.

I installed Ubuntu from the trial disk.

It’s possible that it was the first time I’d restarted my computer since installing the ‘ATI/AMD propriatary FGLRX graphic driver’ would that have done it?

For future readers…
This issue was on an Ubuntu 10.10 64bit installation, on machine with an ATI radeon HD 5450 PCIe card.

The problem appears to be nothing to do with installing DirectX in WINE… although the WINE site warns against this, it won’t stop you booting a Linux system… it’s just because most of DirectX9 is already part of WINE.

It was an issue with the fglrx drivers.

The blank screen problem was “half” solved in chat.

Booting to the LiveCD, then renaming the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to xorg.conf-old allowed the system to boot… now we just need to find out why the fglrx driver caused the problem in the first place.

I’ll post the resolution when known.