newbie needs help

hi all,i’v only been using Ubuntu for 2 days now,but so far i can say wish i’d done it years ago,but i have a problem.

The problem is i saved all my pics,documents and stuff on an external hard drive before moving from windows.The hard drive is password protected and needs to install its software for me to unlock it.So i installed wine and all was going well till it crashed near the end of installing my hard drive,now it says my hard drive is installed but i can not get the software to start so i can enter my password.

The hard drive is a WD smartware, so what i’d like to no is how do your remove a program from ubuntu so i can try installing it again,i just can not find how you do it,thanks in advance for any advice .

I take it you want to uninstall an application that was installed in WINE ?

is it the ONLY application you’ve installed in WINE ?

i’m wanting to uninstall the software program that my hard drive uses as it either dosent work with linux or it got corrupted when it crashed while installing.

OK, but I could still do with those questions answering

1. Is it installed in WINE … ie. is it a Windows application
  2. is it the ONLY thing you’ve installed in WINE … ie. the ONLY Widows app you’ve installed.

The reason I’m asking is because Windows apps intalled in WINE, install differently than native Linux applications … and if it’s the ONLY Windows app you’ve installed, we may be able to just delete/rename a single directory.

After a quick look around, I’m not hopefull you’ll get the drive “unlocked” if it was password protected in Windows.

Getting the drive to show up should be easy enough … just ejecting the VirtualCD that appears when you plug the drive in should do the trick.

Is it possible to REMOVE the password protection using a Windows PC ?

i didnt no it installed it in wine,i am a newbie,yes its the only thing i’v installed with wine.
I could put the drive in my old laptop and burn the files to cd but theirs 350 gb of stuff so didnt really want to do that.
i dont think you can remove the password either
on window you have add or remove programs,dosent ubuntu have anything like that so you can remove program you no longer use ?

Yes … applications installed from within the package manager can also be UNinstalled from the same place … but WINDOWS applications installed in WINE are different.

You must remember that installing native applications in Linux is done in a completely different way to Windows … there is no hunting the web for an installer … by far the majority of software you will ever need will be available in the package manager (Ubuntu Software Centre … or Synaptic, etc.) for installation and removal … and will then be automagically downloaded and installed for you (or removed).

But this doesn’t apply to Windows applications installed in WINE … they will have to be uninstalled manually, or if the application came with an uninstaller of its own … you can use that … ie. if in Windows it also included a Uninstall ApplicationName in the Windows start menu.

Windows software is not compatible with Linux… WINE will run some Windows software (in a compatibility layer) … but it is added to the system and menus in a different way to native Linux software.

renaming/deleting the hidden ~/.wine directory will effectively remove ALL Windows applications that were install in WINE … if that’s what you want to do ?

ok i get what you mean now ::slight_smile:

IF (and I mean IF) you don’t mind loosing ALL Windows software that was install in WINE:

mv -v ~/.wine ~/.wine-old

Run in a terminal will effectively remove ALL windows applications installed in WINE … and put WINE back to defaults.

Another way to rename the hidden ~/.wine directory would be to enter your Home directory … Hit Ctrl+H (to display all the hidden files and directories) … then rename the .wine directory … or delete it altogether if you wish … the directory will be recreated the next time you run WINE, but will obviously be empty.

ALL Windows applications installed in WINE, are stored in the hidden ~/.wine directory.