OS 6 unresponsive after boot - help!

Have been tinkering around and may have caused this to happen by using Synaptic Package Manager to remove 31 packages categorised as Not installed (residual config). I selected Mark for Complete Removal for all 31 packages. The symptons are that my ZG5 becomes unresponsive following the peppermint Starting Up… screen.

I’ve been able to reboot the ZG5 using my 2GB USB memory stick but don’t know how to restore the 31 packages or even if this is possible. So I have two questions:

Have I caused this problem by removing these packages?
If so, then what is the simplest and quickest way to recover?

Please help!

On my boot stick there are 21 packages listed as Not Installed (residual config).

Can you give me a list of those residual configs ?

When we switched to the lts-utopic packages, they would still be using the configs from the earleir packages that were removed … removing the configs would have left the lts-utopic versions without config files.

I reckon reinstalling the lts-utopic xorg stuff should set them up with their own configs:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libegl1-mesa-lts-utopic libgbm1-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-core-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-utopic

So boot to the Peppermint 6 LiveUSB … make sure you have an active internet connection … then assuming your / is on /dev/sda1 open a terminal and run:

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

then

for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

then

sudo chroot /mnt

then

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libegl1-mesa-lts-utopic libgbm1-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic libwayland-egl1-mesa-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-core-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-intel-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-openchrome-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-video-vmware-lts-utopic

then hit Ctrl+D to exit the chroot environment.

Then reboot normally.

Mark

Code applied and rebooted successfully. Happy days - that sorted it! Now when I run SPM, “Not Installed (residual config)” is not listed.

The USB boot stick contains 20 entries (down from 21 yesterday). Is this the list you want? If so I can’t figure out from SPM how to get this listed without resorting to screen shots. Please advise if there is an easier way and I’ll post the list here.

Thank you very much.

You’re most welcome … As long as you’re now up and running, the list from the Live session is no longer important my mate :wink: