Ownership problems

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and I am having problems being able to access and do other things to files.
I want to he able to have access to the files I’m supposed to. I want to rename the banshee.db file but it wont let me.

Where is the banshee.db file ? … you only have permission to edit things in your Home directory.

You do NOT (AFAIK) have permission to edit files in the files in /media/Home_/home/pete directory

It’s in;
Home/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db

I have just gone into the 500GBHD to the same file and I DO have permission to change that file
Home/home/Peter/.config/banshee.db

Hold fire on that, I just did a reboot and checked again, I can change it now, don’t know what happened???

Just been into a folder on my 12.04 system and I cant paste into it from my 11.10 system folder.
I tried to copy the blocklist .txt files from my 11.10 transmission folder to the 12.04 transmission folder and ‘paste’ is greyed out…

[EDIT]
…But it let me do a ‘drag n drop’ to it

Paths would be nice

I have no idea what you mean by “transmission folder”

I did… read above

Can you copy/paste things from one place to another JUST inside your 12.04 Home folder ?

ie. is the problem ONLY between the home folders for 11.10 and 12.04 ?

No

ie. is the problem ONLY between the home folders for 11.10 and 12.04 ?

No

Hmm … very odd … i’ll see if I can find a bug report as this seems like a problem with nautilus in 12.04 :o

Yup, definitely a bug in 12.04 nautilus (maybe compiz) … looking for a solution now.

Can you try something for me … log off, and log back on with Gnome Classic (no effects) and test if you can copy/paste … ie. paste isn’t greyed.

and let me know.

Also, a lot of people are saying that the paste and rename options may appear greyed out … but they still work … have you tested this ?

Will do

Also, a lot of people are saying that the paste and rename options may appear greyed out … but they still work … have you tested this ?
[/quote]
It does work…

The options work in Gnome(No Effects) but they are greyed out

It seems to be something between compiz and nautilus … some people suggest purging and reinstalling compiz sorts it out.

But as it works (even though greyed) most people are just putting up with it … and hoping it will be fixed in an update (as it has been reported/confirmed as a bug).

If it’s working (even though greyed) are you happy to leave it for now and wait for an update to possibly fix it ?

If so we’ll move on to mounting your drives in this topic:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9716.msg76707#msg76707

Yes, I’m fine with leaving it, a lot less hassle