Peppermint 4on old laptop.

Installed a couple of days ago on daughters failing laptop … Vista ::)… and it is running like new.
Two questions … why can’t I put the trash bin in view?
What can I download that will show me how much hard drive space it’s using.
The ones for Mint don’t seem to work in peppermint.

Hi joesoap

Not 100% sure about this but to show the trash can on the desktop right click anywhere on the desktop, the desktop preferences dialogue box should show up then click on the “Desktop Icons” tab tick the checkbox that says "Show Trash Can Folder On The Desktop

What can I download that will show me how much hard drive space it's using.

You can use baobab you’ll find it in Synaptic Package Manager or in the terminal

sudo apt-get install baobab

Good luck

Graeme

There is no way to have a fully functioning “Trash” on the desktop in LXDE … when you open the file manager “Rubbish Bin” will be in the left hand column.

It would be possible to have a launcher called say “Trash” on the desktop that opens the trash location in pcmanfm (file manager), but there’d still not be an option to right-click > empty trash
That can only be done in the left hand column of the file manager.

df -h

run in a terminal will also display disk usage :wink:

Cairo Dock has a Trash applet that is fully functioning, right click shows the contents middle click to empty

Graeme

It does … but it’s not part of LXDE is it ?, and doesn’t add it to the “desktop” … cairo-dock is also a bit drastic on limited hardware just to get functionality that’s already there in the file manager :wink:

The again, if you want a dock … it’s certainly an option
just be aware cairo-dock can be quite “heavy” on system resources.

Yeah that’s it and no I don’t want the dock.
Thanks for replies everyone.
I’m sure she can manage without a bin.
It’s running the laptop great … I’ll download that wotsit later.

There IS a Rubbish Bin … it’s just not on the desktop, it’s in the left hand column of the file manager.

You can click it to see what’s in the bin
right-click it and select “Empty Rubbish Bin” to empty it
and right-click files within it and select “Restore” or “Delete”.

http://linuxforums.org.uk/MGalleryItem.php?id=1592

It does .. but it's not part of LXDE is it ?, and doesn't add it to the "desktop" .. cairo-dock is also a bit drastic on limited hardware just to get functionality that's already there in the file manager

No arguments there I only mentioned it as an option or incase someone else reading this thread might find it useful :slight_smile:

Graeme

Kinda surprised that there hasn’t been an app written for that, LXDE is a pretty popular desktop. The backend would be really simple too.
Actually, couldn’t a simple bash script be written, and stored on the desktop for “empty trash”? You’d have 2 icons on your desktop - one for view (a shortcut to open Trash in file manager) and one for empty (a bash script). Unless there are funny permissions on the trash folder that make scripting it a pain?

I guess nobody’s bothered, after all the rubish bin is present :slight_smile:

To tell the truth, it’s just a matter of what you’re used to … nowadays I’d probably remove a bin from the desktop, I now “expect” it to be in the file manager where it should be, after all bunging stuff in the bin falls under “file management” doesn’t it :wink:

True, and hard drive space is so abundant now that I very rarely empty it anyway

(says the man without an SSD)