peppermint 7 running slow

Hi Mark,
I noticed a thread about Ubuntu running slow and thought I was running slower than that so I ran the commands you gave.
The first 2 are ok but the third command runs to 60+ lines. I have attached the first 2

don@ldwatson ~ $ systemd-analyze time
Startup finished in 6.849s (firmware) + 10.983s (loader) + 4.157s (kernel) + 44.539s (userspace) = 1min 6.530s
don@ldwatson ~ $ systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the “@” character.
The time the unit takes to start is printed after the “+” character.

graphical.target @44.520s
??multi-user.target @44.520s
??smbd.service @29.686s +377ms
??nmbd.service @24.829s +4.838s
??network-online.target @24.828s
??network.target @24.827s
??networking.service @24.002s +825ms
??apparmor.service @11.690s +11.749s
??local-fs.target @11.676s
??run-user-1000-gvfs.mount @43.443s
??run-user-1000.mount @41.465s
??local-fs-pre.target @6.485s
??systemd-remount-fs.service @6.366s +119ms
??system.slice @2.817s
??-.slice @2.615s

Shall I attach the other 66 lines ?

take care
Don W

Are you saying that P7 is running slow or booting slow?
If the latter then try:

sudo systemd-analyze plot > bootchart.svg

This should give you bootchart.svg in the base of your home folder

I found in most of the cases where slow booting was observed, networking services was the guilty party

Thanks SeZo

I have done as you have suggested and have the bootchart in my home folder and it looks very impressive.
How do I make sense of it ? How can I use this to make my boot up a bit quicker ? Any ideas ?

take care
Don W

Can you host the svg somewhere and provide a link ?

Thanks Mark, Can I stick it in Dropbox ?

Only if dropbox allows you to post a public link

If not, try posting it here:
http://imgur.com

Hi Mark,
I have loaded the .svg file to Imgur as a .jpg. Does that help ?

Dunno unless you provide a link to it ?

Does this help :-[ :-[

https://imgur.com/AE1sUvs

Yep, that’s better :slight_smile:

You haven’t clarified SeZo’s question of what you mean by “peppermint 7 running slow”…

Do you mean “running slow”, or “booting slow” ?

Can you clarify exactly what you mean by “slow”, and when it’s slow ? (eg. if you’re not talking solely about boot times, which apps are running slowly, and what are you doing when running them ?)

If we’re talking purely about boot times, you could remove apparmor

sudo apt-get remove apparmor

and see if that helps.

Hi Mark,
I meant booting slow. Every time I boot up it takes a significant time.
Sometimes when I shut down it takes a while as well, a good 40 or 50 seconds instead of the usual 4 or 5 seconds.
I think this usually happens after I have been using Libre Office for a while. I keep files in Calc and Writer and have to convert/save them from/to Word and Excel. I don’t know if that is helpful ??
Edit: I have done as you suggested and removed apparmor but there’s no obvious difference.
When I started up there was a 40 second wait before the 2 lines at the top of the screen appeared, the lines about clean bits and about starting managing colours etc., this was on screen for 10 seconds or so before the login screen appeared.