Problem installing HP 7520 wireless printer

I am visiting a friend for whom I had installed Ubuntu12.04 on a 32 bit Athlon desktop in GNOME fallback mode. Her Epson printer has died so I recommended HP and, after consulting the HPLIP website, recommended the Photosmart 7520. I’ve just installed it and it’s rather nice, and works fine as a USB-connected device.

My first attempt at connecting it as a wireless printer via the Settings/Printers method resulted in the message:
Firewall ID is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client & samba-client enabled on firewall

Being a simple-minded soul I tried installing these by the apt-get method, which informed me that they were not available, except for the samba-client which was installed as smbclient.

HPLIP was already installed so I installed HPLIP Toolbox despite the warning that “All GUI utilities are based on Qt(KDE) GUI environment. There are no equivalent utilities based on GTK (GNOME)”. Of course it failed to detect any printers.

My friend needs to share the printer with her father so wireless connectivity is a must. Any ideas? Perhaps I’ll have to change to the KDE desktop?

Hi Keith

Firewall ID is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client & samba-client enabled on firewall

From what I can see that message is not telling you that you need to install anything it’s saying they need to be enabled in the firewall settings.

does this PC have firewall software installed ?

I’m not 100% sure about this as i never use a firewall but if you’re not sure you can try

sudo gufw

and see in a firewall gui pops up and if so check and see if these protocols are enabled

Good luck

Graeme

Hi Graeme.

The output is:
jenny@central:~$ sudo gufw
[sudo] password for jenny:
sudo: gufw: command not found

and no GUI popped up, so I guess there is no firewall set up. It’s not something that I have come across in Linux so far. I shall browse the web for info.
But thank you for the suggestion, Graeme.

Keith

It seems the command is ufw and gufw for the GUI but I can’t for the life of me understand the man pages! If any reader has experience of ufw and firewalls for Linux, I would be grateful for advice.
I’ve found this helpful URL: Gufw - Community Help Wiki and have installed the GUI.

jenny@central:~$ sudo ufw app list
Available applications:
CUPS
OpenSSH

which is encouraging for printer connectivity but no rules are specified in the firewall.

I doubt (despite the message) this is a firewall issue.

What’s the output (if any) from:

dpkg -l | grep avahi-daemon

and

dpkg -l | grep smbclient

Hi Mark.
The outputs are:

jenny@central:~$ dpkg -l | grep avahi-daemon
ii avahi-daemon 0.6.30-5ubuntu2.1 Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon
jenny@central:~$ dpkg -l | grep smbclient
ii libsmbclient 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.11 shared library for communication with SMB/CIFS servers
ii python-smbc 1.0.13-0ubuntu1 Python bindings for Samba clients (libsmbclient)
ii smbclient

what’s the output from:

dpkg -l | grep hplip

jenny@central:~$ dpkg -l | grep hplip
ii hplip 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
ii hplip-cups 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 transitional dummy package for hpcups printer driver
ii hplip-data 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - data files
ii hplip-gui 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.4 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - GUI utilities (Qt-based)

According to this:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/photosmart/photosmart_7520_series.html
it requires hplip version 3.12.9 … you only have 3.12.2

What’s the output from:

uname -a

and is the system fully up to date … as there’s supposed to be a later version in backports

[EDIT]

Also is there any output from:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep backports

?

jenny@central:~$ uname -a
Linux central 3.2.0-68-generic #102-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 12 22:04:27 UTC 2014 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
jenny@central:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep backports

Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review

deb Index of /ubuntu precise-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src Index of /ubuntu precise-backports main restricted universe multiverse

I shall try to upgrade HPLIP now

The HPLIP in the Software Centre is still 3.12.2-1 and there is no Synaptic Package Manager listed in the menus. Can I install via the command line:
sudo apt-get install hplip or something similar?

try:

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get --target-release precise-backports install hplip

hopefully that’ll update it to 3.13.9

as it’s definitely in the backports repo:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-backports/hplip

That all worked fine, Mark - the HPLIP GUI has connected successfully to the printer/fax and I can list the job status, etc.
When I try to print a document, HPLIP Status says that printing is complete but Printer Control says it is “on hold” continuously.

try this:

Remove the existing print queues:

hp-setup -r

Re-configure the queue:

hp-setup

Test printing.

That didn’t find the printer wirelessly - I shall try it with a temporary USB connection

Using the temporary USB method it finds the printer and tells me it has been configured but fails to print to it.
There were frequent crashes during several attempts at installation, so I shall keep trying and report back.

Any particular reason you went with 12.04 as opposed to 14.04 ?

You might also want to do a full system update:

sudo apt-get update

then

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

then reboot

Version 14 wasn’t available when I installed Ubuntu and since I live 65 miles away from the PC I haven’t got around to upgrading.

That would explain it then :slight_smile:

The update & upgrade found nothing to do as I had updated not long ago but I shall continue with your suggestions and report back.