Problems/differences installing (Web Development apps) "Ubuntu" handles well.

Hey guys,

I am completely new to Linux, and coming from a Windows mindset; so i know this 2 questions will sound stupid to the experienced Linux users.

But because I’ve already installed an unstable Linux distro, I’m looking to do a “permanent move” to Ubuntu Flavors.

And i don’t want to repeat this process again; until i have no choice but to install a new release of the same flavor, if an upgrade is not possible.

I am asking the 2 below questions because Ubuntu Studio seems more specific than the other flavors, so i just want to be sure i can set a “Front End Development Flow”. And that all the dev apps will work in (synergy and not conflict) with the creative apps Ubuntu Studio has. And that (are useful for me).

Basically a confirmation it does not matter what Flavor&Desktop i choose. That it’s all the same and comes down to proper configuration; etc…

[b]Question 1) - Will there be problems/differences if I install (Web Development apps) that “Ubuntu” is known to handle well; in “Ubuntu Studio”?

Question 2) - Will there be problems/differences if I install “Ubuntu Studio” (Creative Apps) in “Xubuntu”?[/b]

I’m about to do an OS change to occupy my entire SSD. Get apps installed and well configured, and a backup strategy well implemented.

I will test some desktops. Whatever flavor i choose, (after installing apps and configuring the OS properly); if want to change desktop, i will do it in the original OS. I won’t re-install different OS/Desktop again. Unless you give me a valid reason not to do so, and just switch to a different flavor with a different desktop.

I just don’t want to repeat installs and changes, over and over… I hate that!

I already lost a lot of time configuring another distro.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

HI Vaxi - and welcome to the Forum.

[b]Question 1) - Will there be problems/differences if I install (Web Development apps) that "Ubuntu" is known to handle well; in "Ubuntu Studio"? Question 2) - Will there be problems/differences if I install "Ubuntu Studio" (Creative Apps) in "Xubuntu"? [/b]
Q1: Probably not, but I have no experience of Studio. Other respondents might be able to advise on that. Q2: Ubuntu Studio is a stand-alone Linux operating system so you can't install it in Xubuntu. If you mean "can you install applications from Studio into Xubuntu?" then probably not except for third party applications such as Audacity that are available anyway.

Ubuntu Studio 22.04 has just been issued. I suggest strongly that you read these notes carefully:
https://ubuntustudio.org/news/
https://ubuntustudio.org/download/

If you are a hard-core audio/video software user, then it would be very worthwhile ceating a “live USB” and trying it out. Alternatively, there are many audio/video applications that can be installed in other (Ubuntu-based) Linux flavours such as Mint, Xubuntu, etc. - and of course there is Ubuntu itself.

Welcome to Linux.
Keith